1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Karen's Countdown Timer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 1Floyd1, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

I still use Karen's Countdown Timer. How do I export the timer data files to another computer?

2. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

Well ~ Perhaps I'm not expressing myself well, or, indeed, nobody knows how to find the file used to store the event reminders. I've reviewed six or eight 'event reminders' and Karen's does exactly what I want a reminder to do. I've used this utility for years. I have never been able to figure out how to transfer the installed listings to another computer. I'll bet there's a file somewhere that I could implant in another PC, along with the Countdown Timer to avoid a lot of keyboard work. (( And to store the data safe 'n sound on, for instance, Google Drive. )) I'll give this another week or so then resign myself to ~~~~~. 1Floyd1

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

Greetings Captain Ron. Well first of all thanks for your interest and concern. Actually I've used this version for a long time. And I've attempted the Import/Export function extensively. There are several surprises while trying to, for instance, Export the database. It comes up with a default .txt extension. There is no suggested filename. (So I give it a simple, recognizable name.) And into one of my temp. folders where I might be able to access it later to copy, paste to a, for instance, thumb stick or wherever. The file is copied to the directory OK and is, indeed, a .txt. file. It is nicely formatted in tabular form; everything is zeros and 'False'. There are 22 events in my 'Reminder'. There are 22 rows in the text file.
    In attempting to Import this database into a 'Countdown Timer' on another computer (numerous others) it is unremarkable; Restarting the Karen's Countdown Timesr produces the original display ~ no changes. I don't know what filename - extension the program looks for during its startup to display its list of events.It's frustrating Ron. I feel that the author took the answers to my question with her. May she rest in peace. There are other, more important issues we need to be concerned with. But I do thank you for your attempt. TNX AGN. 1Floyd1, W0YQX.

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Sorry to hear that:( I also have an old program that I have been using for umpteen years, Lotus Organizer 2.1. I figured out how to get into the data file and save it to my backup and a Flash drive. Over the years I have had to re-install from Floppy drives and then just a matter of a copy and paste back into the Data file and all is well.

Good luck :)

6. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

Thanks again Ron. 'Wonder what you fly? Fond memories of your Green Mountain area.

F.C.

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    The aircraft you see next to my name was shot from a friend on my last trip coming in for a landing. The aircraft is a Beechcraft King Air B200. I am retired/disabled.

Now, I'm sure you have tried this; but instead of naming the .txt file, just export it to your file, then copy it do a flash drive or whatever and try Importing it to your other computer. I bet you tried this?

8. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

Yes Ron I think I've tried everything. This is one of those not-critical problems that can be addressed when there's nothing else to worry about. But I hate to let a solvable problem get the best of me. OK on the Beechcraft. Thanks again Ron.

F.C. http://home.windstream.net/fcook36/

9. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

Wow ! I didn't realize I'd posted such a 'tuffie'
    I'll leave it alone awhile longer.
    F.C.

10. 1Floyd1

1Floyd1 Thread Starter

I guess there is just no answer to this question. Rather than "Solved" I'd like to see an option; "Give Up".

Thanks to the 600 or so that reviewed the problem.

F.C.

11. GaltJ

GaltJ Banned

What if you copy the Events.txt file from your profile folder?

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Karen's Power Tools\Countdown Timer II

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice