1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Kaspersky firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by karbo, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

I'm planning on buying Kaspersky antivirus and was wondering if you had any thought on its firewall. How does it compare to Zone Alarm? Is it as reliable? Is it easy to use? Does it have a pop-up blocker, add blocker or cookie manager?

Thank you

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I also use neither since I have a router but I've always heard Kaspersky scores consistently high, often coming out as the top dog amongst the dogs.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I have seen consistent advice to have a software firewall along with a router.

{redoak}

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Indeed, for intranet insertions it is a very good idea, I should have mentioned it but I'm never in that situation and forgot even though I generally leave windows firewall on by default (with a bunch of holes poked in it of course).

6. karbo

My God! I uninstalled the free trial version of Kasperky Internet Security 7.0 and just installed Eset Smart Security (NOD32) instead. (y)

Wow, what a difference! No more bugging me from Kaspersky (firewall pop-ups all the time, trial pop-ups prompted me every hour or so to tell me how many days I had left with my free trial (and asking me to buy!:mad:), clean running in the background with NOD32, fast and unoticeable updates, smart automatic running firewall (Kaspersky was so damn complicated and interfered with all program installation applications unless you setted it to low filtering. It was difficult to know wich settings to use. Configuration was really complicated.), NOD32 antivirus takes less than half the time to scan my computer (8 minutes to scan C drive compared to 18 minutes for Kaspersky), Kaspersky anti-spam installed an annoying tool bar in Outlook Express that couldn't be deleted (NOD32 lets you make it disappear).

I respect everybody wanting to use Kaspersky because it's supposed to be a good antivirus software. But, just look at all the awards NOD32 won over the years. I always felt really confident with NOD32 and I will stick to it.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The original post was about the merits of Kaspersky and comparisons with Zone Alarm...its sort of the reason no one mentioned NOD32. Had you mentioned it or sought opinions on what are the best ones, and made no other qualifications, of course, its right up there in the top two or three.

8. karbo

I wasn't especially comparing it to ZA. I only wanted opinions on Kaspersky. Sorry for not being clear enough.

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

No problem, no slight on you, we just didn't have enough info available to help you where you were headed.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!