1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keep having to disconnect and reconnect internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobcharley, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobcharley

bobcharley Thread Starter

Since doing a clean install of Windows 7 my internet keeps timing out. The icon in the task bar shows that it's normal, but I'll be online and after a couple minutes the internet just stops. When I click on the icon it says "connected" and "internet access."

I have tried on both a Netgear and Apple router, so it's not a router issue. I reset the modem and routers a dozen times. I called my ISP and they said everything looks normal. My Droid phone works fine and so does a Macbook in the house.

I have rolled back my Atheros5007 wireless card driver, which did nothing. And then tried upgrading the latest version, which did nothing. Uninstalled the driver then reinstalled, still with no luck.

This is blowing my mind. I was running Windows 7 fine all year and did the clean install as something I do every year to keep my computer running well. Bad move!

I ran the network diagnostic utility and it said it fixed something, although I'm not sure what. Either way, it didn't actually fix the problem.

Not to mention, I've had the blue screen of death a couple times now. Once when I was connecting my laptop (HP G60t-200) to a Tv, and the other just happened out of nowhere.

2. onca

onca

Are you positive that your computer doesn't have any viruses or other kinds of nasties?

3. bobcharley

Yes, I have AVG.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    We've been seeing lots of trouble with the Atheros AR5007 adapter, although mostly with Vista and not quite the same symptoms you are getting.

What encryption are you using? Does it work OK with no encryption?

In Device Manager right click on the adapter and 'update driver' and let Windows search online for a driver. If that doesn't work then install the latest driver from HP's web site (I'm assuming HP as in your Computer specs). If either of those drivers work I'd like to know which one, as it may help others.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you tell us how you did your "clean install". "Clean install" sounds like you used a Windows disk as opposed to HP restore disks or Recovery Partition and if that's the case did you download the motherboard drivers and install them?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, Rich. After I saw the adapter nothing else in the post registered with me. :(

7. bobcharley

This is so strange. I had Windows update the driver, and it did nothing. I rolled back the driver, and it did nothing. I went to HP's website and downloaded the driver off there, and it still didn't help. Then I downloaded "slim drivers" and it updated the driver and now my internet seems to work. Man I hate computers. Thanks for the responses though. Have yet to update all 12 or so other drivers that are supposedly either broken or out of date. Maybe that will end the blue screens of death I keep getting.

The clean install, btw, was with an oem Windows disc. It was not from HP. So, I guess the moral of the story is that when you do a clean install of Windows you have to update your drivers.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Often the drivers installed by Windows 7 work fine. When you have trouble you should always install the drivers from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site beginning with the chipset drivers.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not to worry happens to all of us Terry.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep chipset driver is the first one you should do, it is the key to all the others.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice