1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keep it clean. DEEP FREEZE

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Nebastion, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am very close to formatting my C:/ Drive,

Windows Vista 64bit. {for Gaming and things that Ubuntu Cant do}
    Dual booting with.
    Ubuntu 10.04. {For college work etc...}

Vista:
    I always browse in a sand boxed window and always run applications that are prone to making unnecessary changes to my OS, in a Sand boxed environment..
    We all know that Operating systems get bogged down over time, despite using programs that aim to prevent this:
    ATF cleaner, Sandboxie, Acronis "try & Decide" Etc....

I was wondering if i were to Reinstall Vista and immediately install DEEP FREEZE so that my OS would remain Fresh.
    My biggest concern is that i mostly Use the Vista Installation for Gaming and browsing, and i'm afraid that when i restart my computer and go back to Vista that my saved games or any modifications will be gone!

So what i propose to do is, install all my games on a separate partition.
    So that all changes made or any modifications made to my games, like adding new maps or mods of any kind will stay there...
    I want My Vista OS behave like a fresh installation ALL THE TIME!

Am i asking too much? is this possible?
    Does Deep Freeze recover the registry entries that my games will use??

Please bare in mind that i nothing about Deep Freeze and have never used it before.

Is there an alternative solution to this??

Any input is much appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Deep Freeze will reset the system back to the way it was last froze.
    So each time you restart your machine ALL data (email, photos, music, documents, spreadsheets) , ALL settings including the registry, any new installs of programs and etc. will be gone.

Deep Freeze was designed to be used in a "teaching" mode, so when a machine is started, it will be in the configuration that is need for the upcoming class.

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I've worked with Deep Freeze on a client's PC & it works very well, if you're willing to devote extra effort to managing it. You can exempt specific drives or folders so it won't wipe out your game files, but it will wipe out the registry entries unless you 'thaw' your PC before you install the game. Deep Freeze has two 'thaw' modes, one which thaws the PC until you re-freeze it and the other that thaws it temporarily. I can't remember if that's until the next boot or for a specific number of reboots (besides, I haven't worked on this client's PC for several years so the version I worked with is undoubtedly now obsolete).

The biggest problem is that all updates must be manual because you need to thaw the PC before applying the update. If you run AV software (which I recommend even if your PC is frozen while clean because that unprotected drive/folder can still get infected) then applying the updates might be more than you want to do. Deep Freeze does work very well at keeping a stable PC stable but personally I prefer restoring from a good backup when the PC becomes unstable. But that's just my preference, YMMV.

Just a thought, but you could export your registry to the unprotected drive after installing the game, then re-import it when you reboot. Wouldn't want to do that all the time but it should be a workaround until you thaw the PC, import the backed up registry, and refreeze.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    But then the game would NOT be there unless it was installed in a area that is "Thawed".

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

6. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Thanks all.

After reading your posts iv decided to go ahead and give it a try, i just wanted to find out if it was possible so as not to waste time,

Thank you Byte Man, a useful post, i think i had stumbled across it before, but had lost it!!
    Ill give it a go.

Apart from Calvin- C are any of you guys familiar with the Software?

Regards Neb.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    A few years ago it was used in a classroom where I taught. We would spend a full day at least once a month to do the updates to all of the programs and the lock them back down.

As I said earlier, it is used to restore a machine everytime it is booted to the "Frozen State". This allows students to change all kinds of settings within the OS and programs, and then the next class would NOT have these changes made to the machines.

We have to have a thawed drive (partition) on every machine or a network share to the students to save their data. They could NOT use the default "My Documents" as their data would be removed when booted.

8. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Thanks again.
    Im going to try it after my exams.

9. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Hello again, :eek:

I have met a hurdle!!!!:confused:

I upgraded to Win 7(n), ( the confirmity of bieng a Gamer)
    And as calvin-c Suggested I specified which drives i would like to be FROZEN(y),
    But i was not able to specify which folders.......(n)

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Game Developer\Game Name\ Where the saves go\

If anyone could shed some light on this id be very greatfull, ;)

Neb.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    As far as I came remember only complete drives can be froze, can not been done by folder.

11. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Did, it! It took ALOT OF TIME but....
    I think i now have an almost bullet proof OS!!!!
    Faronics Deep Freeze has an additional piece of software called Data Igaloo, (Pun Intended)
    You can re direct an entire Windows user profile to a thawed drive or space........
    Or just certain paths or folders.......

A whole User profile may defeat the purpose in a sense but the OS will remain Intact, never again willl i be able to ipulsively "try" a piece of software out without thinking it through,

So go ahead theoretically tell me what could go wrong.......

Thanks again for all the input.
    Neb

12. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

You will have to direct Windows Updates and do them in a thawed space.....

As long as you are able to do what you need to do, that is fine. We do advise to keep up with Updates for all software, as many updates these days are not just functional, they are security related to patch the software.

I don;t use Deep Freeze, and the most we see of it here is the requests for help to get rid of DF by people that are not program admins. We generally refer DF help to their support area.

After you are ready you may mark this thread Solved. You may still reply here if you do mark it Solved....

13. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Thanks again,

Yeah all is going well, the only inconvienience so far has been the windows updates, i was gaming earlyer and windows attempted to update, and i rebboted and it had to do it all over , so i had to thaw and reboot again!!

But as you suggested, i need to redirect the updates.

Appart from that im quite happy, my registry should stay intact, the only vunerable part is my user account...

Peace all.
    Neb.

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    No, you will NOT be able to retain any of the updates as long as the OS is froze.
    You need to turn OFF the auto updates, and set it to notify. Then when you want to get the updates, thaw the machine, update Windows and while you are at it check all of you other programs that get updates such as your AV, spam checkers, and etc. Make sure that you do all of the required reboots, before refreezing so they will be completed. If not you will have to wait for them to be refinished on every frozen boot up.

15. Nebastion

Nebastion Thread Starter

Ahh i see, yes, i found that i cant allocate a thaw space for updates, your are correct sir,
    Faronics Admin has a scheduler that will auto thaw at regular intervals, but that wont do.

I usually do my windows updated manually (or by Notify as you said) anyway so that shouldnt cause too much hastle.

Dispite the few kinks that had to and probably will have to be worked out in the futuer, is it worth it?
    Yeah i think so, the extra bit of time in between boots does give piece of mind, and its barely noticeable when i boot that deep freeze is slightly slowing down my reeboot time.

At the moment i cant see any other problems or set backs.

Cheers for the input its much apprieciated.
    Neb

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice