1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keep "TO" addresses private when sending a group email in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by microphobic, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. microphobic

microphobic Thread Starter

This should be a basic question but I could not find the answer in Outlook Express Help. Using Outlook Express. When I send out a group email, is there a way to just have the name of the group in the "TO" box, for instance "Friends" At present, Outlook Express spells out each and every email address and this upsets some recipients.
    Thank you.

2. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Use the BCC line, instead of the "to" line. That way each recipient can ONLY see their OWN email addrress, and no one else's.

3. microphobic

Dear Laura,
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I came to the same conclusion & used BCC, but I wish there was a more elegant way. I had to copy all 200 addresses then paste them in the BCC box.
    Another question:
    Outlook Express Address Book. Many of the email addresses bounced back to me. I wish to delete them from my email group. But all I have is the email addresses, not the names. Address Book seems to give me only the names. So how do I search for and remove an email address from the group?
    I just went through all 200, looking at properties for each, then clicking remove. It didn't work and all the undesired addresses are still in my group.
    Is there another program that would work better? Right now I'm hating Outlook Express with white hot passion.
    Thanks!
    Trish

4. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

I've never used groups when I had OE. However, can't you click the TO
    field of a new email and then click the entire group into BCC? You
    would never need to copy 200 individual addresses and paste them
    anywhere.

5. vicks

vicks

Open your addressess, select New, new group You should be able to enter names/addresses you want there, then when you want to send something to the group
    When setting up the group, select the box for select members, that will bring up your list of addresses and you can just click on each one there.
    To delete the addresses, double click on the 'address' select the name tab and you should be able to delete it there.Or, right click on the address, and the choice to delete should show. Just click on it.

vicks

6. microphobic

Thanks for prompt and helpful reply, Vicks. It's always the little stuff that gets me!

7. microphobic

Got this going now! Thanks again.

8. microphobic

Thanks to VistaRookie and Laura and Vicks. Hope that's everybody. This is really a good forum. You can be sure I'll be back with more simple minded questions.

9. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

You're welcome. :)

10. vicks

vicks

You are most welcome. Please feel free to mark this as solved,
    vicks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice