1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keeps freezing up with arrow and hourglass.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikezu812, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikezu812

mikezu812 Thread Starter

I have a new Dell Optiplex 755 connected to our network at work. It's been on the production floor 2 weeks. This past Thursday I was called over because user could log in but computer sat there and with the arrow(cursor)and hourglass on the screen. If you tried to click on on object on the desktop, it would have no effect. I watched the computer for ten minutes and nothing change. This happened on user account as well as ADMINISTRATOR account. I am able to move the arrow/hourglass around the screen. I just cannot click on anything. I am unable to access anything on either account. So I cannot system restore or get to the startup programs. I am also unable to do anything on safe mode as most objects are greyed out for some reason. Any help???

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

I guess one thing to try is run the hard drive test that is built in to Dells. On the Dell screen when it first comes up, hit F12. This will give you different boot options. There should be one for HD diags. Run that and see if the drive is bad.

3. techkid

techkid

Another thing you can try is the Last Known Good Configuration.

Restart the computer and tap F8 to open the Advanced Boot Options list (as you would to go into Safe Mode). Instead, though, go down to Last Known Good Configuration. What this does is runs System Restore outside of Windows (for when you can't use it from within).

Let us know how this goes.

4. mikezu812

mikezu812 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll try it today and let you know what happens.

5. mikezu812

mikezu812 Thread Starter

Final able to get in using Safe Mode with Networking and restored. Thanks.

6. techkid

techkid

No worries. You can mark this thread solved using the 'Mark Solved' button above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809994