1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Kensington trackball in Vista 64 bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gazer, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gazer

Gazer Thread Starter

I am trying to get my trackball to play nice with Vista 64. While rooting around in Google for an answer I came across a post on this forum by derekge dated 5-19-07 saying he had a workaround that worked for him.

Quote- I just installed Kensington Mouseworks 6.22 on Vista and everything went fine except on reboot Mouseworks didn't think I had a Kensington mouse plugged in.

The fix is to look under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager upon reboot and update the driver for the mouse. Just point it to the folder where you extracted Mouseworks and it will load it up. Now you can use all the nice features. End quote. Please explain in more detail.

He may have had the 32 bit version which does play nicer with legacy drivers.
    I have the 64 bit version of Vista and I finally got the Kensington MouseWorks 6.22 past the Windows Installer screening process, but alas no joy.:mad:
    I even uninstalled the default mouse drivers hoping a reboot would get it to recognize the trackball.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Including alternate manufacturers drivers that might work so I can reassign buttons.

One other suggestion, if everyone who owns a Kensington K64325 Trackball would go to their website customer service and beg them for a Vista driver maybe we can brow beat them into making one.
    Thanks
    Gazer

2. Gazer

Gazer Thread Starter

Ok boys and girls I've found the cure, it has been tested and it is effective.
    Go to:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=92390
    and follow the first set of instuctions if you have the 64 bit vista, no chord funtions but my primary concern was swapping button assignments. No need for Kensington's drivers or their lack of support!
    Hope it works for you.
    Gazer

3. DerekC

DerekC

Congrats on finding your solution. Glad it's working for you. Please mark your thread as solved (it makes it easier for others to find a solution if they have the same issue).

The Button is located above your first post on the left side.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804628