1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Kernel Data Inpage Error...Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by texastoy4her, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. texastoy4her

texastoy4her Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am having trouble. I get a blue screen that says kernel data inpage error just about everyday. I leave the computer on overnight, in the power options I have it set to turn the moitor off after 5 mins. Allot of times when I get up in the moring I will have the blue screen.

This will also happen if say I get offline and run to the store for a bit. Allot times when I come back I will have the blue screen. I have to shut the computer down and restart. Which it runs fine then. Until the next time of course.

About 6 months ago I was having the same problem just about. Then, I was getting Kernel Stack inpage error. After several attempts by dell to fix the problem they eventually replaced the mother board. But to no avail. As now I am getting the data inpage error.

I tried calling them to see about fixing it but they want to charge me as they say its a software problem. I dont think I should pay them anything else lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Two things do you have the screen saver set to come on or it set to none.

Is that all the Blue screen says ....is there anything else mentioned??

3. texastoy4her

no the screen saver is set to none and all other power options are set to never or turned off. only thing I have set is to turn the monitor off after 5 mins.

yes from what I remember it does have an error code and what not but forgot to write it down. Sorry.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

What until it happens again and make a note of what all it says and then post it back..

It may be a driver causing it.

5. Huskerpro

Huskerpro

Microsoft states that all there OS's even XP are not completely stable, and recommend reistalling windows every year or so, it sounds like theres an issue with your OS itself, you might be best served to reinstall windows if at all possible.

6. texastoy4her

Hi, Just had it happen again and this is everything it says on the blue screen.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen then restart your computer. If this screen appears again then follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properlly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need
    if the problem continues disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as cacheing and shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to disable or remove components then restart your computer and press F8 and select advance options then safe mode.

Technical Information.

***stop: 0x0000007a (0xC03E14B8, 0xC000000E, 0xF852E384, 0x0F300860)

atopi.sys address F852E384 base at F8521000 Date stamp 41107B4D

Begining dump of physical memory.

The only new hardware or software I have is I had to change monitors a few days ago but I had this problem long before that.

Back a few months ago when I had contacted Dell about the Kernel Stack inpage Error, 1 of the proccess we went threw before finally replaceing the mother board was doing a clean reinstall of windows. Still had the problem after that.

Thanks all.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Do you have SP1 or SP2 installed?

8. texastoy4her

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is it possible you have the hard drive connected as a slave?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330100/en-us

See the coverage of the error in this article: http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

I'd have a good look at both the ram and the disk integrity.

For the ram, you can swap out modules if you have more than one, or you can try a software tester such as:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

or

http://www.memtest86.com/

For the disk, you can run chkdsk and you can look for "disk" errors in the System log of eventvwr.msc

You may also want to reset the paging file by following the "defrag" instructions here:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1829416,00.asp

10. texastoy4her

Hi Rollin,

I honestly have no idea about the drive being as slave. I ordered the computer from Dell and have'nt changed anything to my knowledge. Just install software here or there.

As for the Ram, I have 2 memory cards in the cpu but no others. is that what you were saying is that if I had more than 1 to just take 1 out and see what happens? If same problem still occurs then swap them out and try again? Also how will this affect performance? Will it slow me down?

I tried running the memory testers you provided but couldnt get anywhere. When I click on the windows tester and then click run, it just gives me the options of creating a startup disk or saving cd image to a disk. Tried doing the startup disk as I had no clue which i was suppoe to, but when I then tried opeing the diskett nothing would happen.

As for the other memory tester it says that it has to boot from a diskett.

Also I attempted to look in the event viewr and I did see alot of error's and warning but dont know if any were "disk" specific.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

I would give the swapping the memory around and taking one out and see and swapping as suggested.

The memtest you load onto a floppy and then put the floppy in the floppy drive and re start the PC.....but it takes a while so swap around the memory first and see...it my be a bit slower but we're just testing

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The floppy disk is the easiest to create. Just put a clean floppy disk in the drive and run the setup file. For memtest as I recall it is "install.bat". Don't try to "open" it, lol, I did that and Windows kept telling me the disk was unformatted. I did manage to open it on Win98 and there was NOTHING there to meet the eye. But in fact the program was copied and all you have to do at that point is reboot the computer IF the floppy drive is first in the boot order.

Manually testing ram -- you've got the idea -- swap out one module at a time. You will probably see a performance slow down with the diminished ram -- but if one module err's and the other does not -- you are on to something. Also be aware that you may find that a particular dimm slot is bad -- and no matter which module is in a particular slot -- you have problems. Be careful when handling ram to ensure you do not transmit a static charge. Have the computer completely unplugged (also depress the power button for a few seconds) before opening the case -- and ground your hands on the metal case interior.

If you never changed the drive setup from the original install, then that shouldn't be an issue -- however it's possible that a cable is loose.

It might also be worthwhile to run the error scan using this utility and check the drive health:

http://www.hdtune.com/

Finally -- since this does appear to involve "virtual" memory -- that is memory on the disk drive -- it may well be a corrupt paging file. The instructions for "defragging" the paging file on that link should fix any problem there. Have all your ram installed and perform the procedure in Safe Mode.

13. texastoy4her

Well, I swaped out the memory cards as suggested and still have same problem regardless of which card is in.

I also downloaded the hd tune and ran it. On the first page I cant make head or tails out of what it is showing. On the health screen its shows to be ok. But then on the error scan, everytime i try running the error scan I get the blue screen Kernel data inpage error. Have to shut down and restart.

I just recently the "paging" thing so i dont know if that will have any effect as of yet or not.

Let me know if there is anything more I need to try.

O yea, also on the memtest, having to boot it from a floppy. I have an external floppy so I dont think that would work. Right?

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know about the external floppy drive, it would depend on how the BIOS sees it. However since this is a Dell, I think you may have an F12 boot menu with IDE choices. Is the floppy there? You can boot with it that way if it's available.

But also run eventvwr.msc and look for disk errors in the system log.

The first page of HD Tune is just a benchmarking utility.
    If the error scan on HD Tune won't complete for you, you may need to get a diagnostic floppy from the drive vendor.

I would also try running chkdsk on the drive. This is available by right clicking on the local disk and selecting Properties > Tools. It can also be run from a command prompt using the Recovery Console.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/kbtip.mspx

15. texastoy4her

yes I do have the floppy...its just a usb floppy...i plug it in when I want to use it and then unplug when done.

I looked at the eventvwr.msc and saw a bunch of errors and warnings but they didnt show disk errors. they would say that correct?

I did also run the chkdsk and it didnt show anything to be wrong. It got done and closed out with out any errors messages.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!