1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: kernel panic; not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jrbuergel, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    When I try to boot PCLinux 2010 or Mandriva 2010 installed onto an external esata drive in a enclosure with a 2009 store built desktop computer it results in this error message; kernel panic; not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0), and this too; cannot open root device "UUID= (some numbers and letters) or unknown block (0,0) please append a correct root= boot option. Is a possible cause for this issue due to those Linux installs were done with a older computer with way different hardware components, (a 2006 Gateway) ? I have a total of 6 versions of Linux installed on that 500 Gb external hard drive, and several do boot okay; (Fedora 15, Mint 9,Kubuntu 10.04,), and my internal PC drive has Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 installed. What if I just use a command to generate and set a new UUID for those not bootable partitions ?

2. saikee

saikee

Although some installed Linux could be used on a different computer (other than one installed originally) there is difference in their behaviour. This is to do with whether a distro has been designed to detect new hardware from scractch in a new environment.

The Debian and Red Hat family (Fedora) are more able to migrate without too much fuss but others may not play ball at all.

PCLinuxOS and Mandriva belong to the same Mandrake family and they are not as flexible.

An new installation is recommended. Also Mandriva has been rebanded as Mageia now.

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Okay I see then, and thanks, some new versions installs is the best thing to do. That could be caused by not having the right device drivers for the newer computer system, such as going from a IDE drive to sata in AHCI mode ?

4. saikee

saikee

You need kernel older than 2.60.20 (at about Sept 2007) to use different device names for Pata (or IDE) and Sata. Since the 2.60.20 kernel all disks, IDE/ATA/Pata, Sata, eSata, SCSI, USB flash drives, memory cards, SSD etc, are all called /dev/sdx where X can be a, b, c, d, e, f......etc according to the prefixed order of the motherboard detection sequence of the available controllers if the hardware were attached.

The AHCI, IDE and Raid modes are Bios and motherboard specific because if the motherboard/Bios does not detect the disk then no operating system can use it.

5. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    So then if I hit e to edit the PCLinux or Mandriva grub 2 boot entries to change it from root= UUID , to root= /dev/sda2 and 8 for my system, it will still boot to that error message then. Both are from 2010 so time for the new and improved releases.

6. rikai

rikai

First Name:
    Matt
    I would suggest upgrading the current installs with the hard drive in the new hardware.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice