1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: key board not responding, check signal cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmvu, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Hi, I wonder if you guys can help me out on this:-

I recently switched on my PC & it showed the following on it's screen:

Delete: Setup F8: Boot Menu F12: Network Boot

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad

Press F1 to Run Setup

Press F2 to load default values & continue

Then it just sits there....... without any response from the keyboard.

If I unplug the keyboard & plug it back on, the Num Lock, Caps Lock & Scroll Lock lights ons & Offs & still

If I switch off the power, the screen shows CHECK SIGNAL CABLE inside a red box.

2. BG-0

BG-0

First you should reset your CMOS. This can usually be done using a specific jumper near the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Alternatively, remove the battery and keep it off for an hour or more.

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

You might also have to purchase a battery same CMOS voltage. They can die as well. Jazz

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Aside from the already mentioned things, try another keyboard especially if you are using a USB keyboard - you may need to use a PS2 keyboard to enter the BIOS.

Also, unplugging and replugging in a USB keyboard while the computer is on is OK, but doing the same thing with a PS2 keyboard can result in damage.

5. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Hi! I am just writing to inform that I bought a USB keyboard & it is working fine. However, the PS2 Keyboard is still not working & the check cable signal message still appears! I did take out the ram, clean it & slot it back. However, I do not know where the graphic card is or how it looks like. (I read that the check cable signal could be due to the graphic card)
    I'll keep you guys posted

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The check cable message should appear whenever the computer is off but the monitor is on.

7. cmvu

cmvu Thread Starter

Hi, especially to Triple6! Thanks for your tip! Its so obvious but I didn't see it! You are correct, the Check Cable Signal appears coz I switched off the computer but the monitor is still on.

I guess that's solved. However, I discovered that the PS2 keyboard & the Jack type mouse doesn't work. But the usb keyboard & usb mouse worked fine. Guess I'll just have to use them instead of the ps2 keyboard.

Now I have another problem,

I tried to install a software but I received the following message :

"Administrative privileges are required in order to install Vadafone Mobile Connect on Windows 2000 SP4 or on Windows XP SP2. The installer will now exit."

The problem is, I am currently logged in as administrator!
    I created a new account with administrative privileges & used the new account to install the software, however, I still received the same message.

Please help!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably will want to start a new thread in the Software for that issue, and specify what version of Windows you have as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice