1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keyboard delay -- not CPU overhead

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PedroHin, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PedroHin

PedroHin Thread Starter

Vista Home 32 bit

We had a HP G60 laptop come in to the shop that has me stumped. There is a long delay after each and every keypress.

This is not the common symptom you see where there is a lag related to excessive CPU overhead.

When any key is pressed, you hear a 'bloop' sound coming from the speaker. If you let up on the key after it pressed for less than one second, there is never any output. The only way is to get output is to press and hold each key for one full second before the keypress is reflected in any application. At the time the character is actually created there is also a 'bloop' sound.

Also, if the key is pressed for over one second there is never a repeat.

I have checked the accessibility and 'ease of use' options for anything system-wide, and no options are in place. all 'sticky keys' and similar options are disabled. I even enabled and re-disabled them to make sure a registry flag wasn't set somewhere.

I checked the keyboard delay/repeat options in control panel

I have removed and reinstalled the keyboard driver. Actually, I let windows find a generic keyboard driver, and rebooted to no avail. I then went to HP's website and got their keyboard driver.

I also tried a USB keyboard, but get the same results.

Booting into safe mode does the same thing. BIOS screen and booting from Linux CD do not produce this undesirable situation, so I know it is not a hardware problem

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

have you tried making a new account, see what happens there?
    is this in all programs?

3. PedroHin

PedroHin Thread Starter

I have not tried making another account. Silly me for not trying something like that. I will try that when I get back to the shop Monday morning.

Yes, it happens in all programs. It is behaving exactly the same way 'FilterKeys' does in Windows XP. The best I can determine is that FilterKeys is actually in effect, but the accessibility options do not show as being enabled. This leads me to believe that a registry setting has gone corrupt.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. PedroHin

PedroHin Thread Starter

I got back to the shop yesterday. I learned that the customer had called and just wanted the laptop back quickly no matter what we had to do. One of the other techs wiped the drive and reloaded windows before I had a chance to try your suggestion :/ .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice