1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: keyboard error or no keyboard present

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tony007, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony007

tony007 Banned Thread Starter

My friend is getting the above message when trying to boot up he has xp home. I cannot get into the bios or safe mode. There are 2 options press f1 to continue or del for setup neither works because the keyboard does not work. I have tried a keyboard that I know works and get the same message. His dvd rw drive is also not working but that is nothing to do with this problem its never worked for a while even before this problem. It is computer made by tiny which went out of business, he has a reload disc but with the drive not working cant use it. Unless I can get hold of my sons usb external rw drive which I will try to do tomorrow. I dont know if it will work though as the computer is not going very far into the post. I have to put the reload disc in whilst attempting to boot up. I am thinking this could be a hardware problem,He had problems with his ps/2 ports a while back so his keyboard is connected by a usb to ps/2 adapter. can anyone help. Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Has a USB keyboard been tried connected to a USB port?

Is USB fully enabled in the BIOS?

Once the message is received, does it make any difference if either the USB or PS/2 device (which ever is being used here) is disconnected and reconnected without rebooting?

3. tony007

Most disappointing I've not been here for a while, just one reply. A while before I come back.

4. tony007

Dont have a usb keyboard it makes no difference. Mouse works from ps/2 at rear of computer keyboard is connected by a usb to ps/2 from front of computer. Thanks for answering Rollin'Rog I was getting a bit impatient there I know you're all volunteers.

5. tony007

I think I may try removing the cmos battery to reset defaults

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Resetting the CMOS is a very good idea -- but I'm not clear on why you think trying a USB keyboard instead of PS/2 would make no difference.

I may not understand just what you have connected -- the keyborad is a PS/2 keyboard but connected to a USB port? Or visa versa?

7. tony007

The keyboard is a ps/2 keyboard but it is connected to the front usb port by a usb to ps/2 adapter the reason for this is that the ps/2 for the keyboard at rear of computer is damaged. I have'nt been able to get back to it just yet been working on something else.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well if you can get hold of a USB keyboard and connect directly to a USB port -- try that.

9. tony007

Yes resetting the cmos did the trick. Had a bit of trouble restoring sme of the values in the bios but got there in the end. Thanks all.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear it; usually I just have to reset the time when doing that :)

Feel free to mark the thread "Solved"

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice