1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keyboard Not Working At XP Login Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nick77777, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick77777

nick77777 Thread Starter

On the Windows XP login screen I am unable to type anything with my keyboard. My mouse works fine, but I am unable to login because my account is password protected.

The keyboard works in BIOS. I am able to boot into Safe Mode (and Safe Mode With Networking) but in every instance I am unable to use my keyboard at the login screen.

My keyboard is a PS2 keyboard, but I also tried using a USB keyboard from another PC and that didn't work either. BUT...on the USB keyboard there is a "turn off computer" button and for some reason that worked even though none of the actual keys worked.

----

I found the solution here for anyone who has this problem in the future.

1. Boot from XP CD
    2. At the menu, press R to load the Recovery Console.
    3. At the command prompt, type this:
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config
    4. Overwrite: Y

It overwrites one file and fixes the problem.

2. Sponsor

3. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG--

So at least one key on the USB keyboard works==the 'special' key to power down the machine...

Does the TAB key do anything?
    Can you try doing <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> twice to see if you get the other login prompt?

Do you have an XP CD for the machine--if I can find the name of the keyboard driver file, we may be able to rename the old one and extract a fresh copy from the recovery console.

Worst case, you'd probably need to do a repair install--that would preserve your data and most likely fix the keyboard issue...

4. nick77777

nick77777 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

CNTRL+ALT+DELETE & TAB dont work. But I do have the Windows XP CD.

Which files would I need to copy and how do I do it? Also if that doesnt work, would a complete repair install cause all my installed programs to no longer work?

5. The Hound

The Hound

A repair install will leave your installed programs as they were, but some windows updates will be necessary to bring the O/S from the version on CD up to current.

A missing registry key caused by an uninstall can cause what you're seeing---did you uninstall any applications just before you the issue started to occur?

6. nick77777

nick77777 Thread Starter

Well my computer had a trojan so I was doing malware scans. I uninstalled a program called "FasterFox", which is a "typing expander" that I never used. I uninstalled a program called "Prevx", which I had just installed to scan for rootkits. And I also cleared my Temp folder.

I just did a repair install like you suggested and it got through the first half of the install with no problems, but then once the install booted into Windows for the second part, my keyboard stopped working.

So now instead of being stuck at the login screen Im stuck at the Serial Key screen.

I remember before my Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock would blink once right before the login screen would appear. That's not happening anymore.

7. huggie54

huggie54

hiya buddy try using on screen keyboard
    On the Start menu:

• Point to All Programs.

• Point to Accessories.

• Point to Accessibility.

• Select On-Screen Keyboard.

Note A message box with a link to more information about the On-Screen Keyboard may appear. To close the box, select OK.
    now i should try updating keyboard drivers

8. nick77777

nick77777 Thread Starter

Thanks... but I am not able to log into Windows..... :[

9. The Hound

The Hound

I thought I wrote this reply six hours ago...but I guess I forgot to hit reply--

FastFox probably modified your Windows registry---keyboard filter drivers of some sort. Modifying a specific key would be the fix--not unlike a popular fix for missing CD/DVD drives related to Nero or iTunes.

I don't think that's an option here. Your repair install should have replace all your keyboard drivers, so it doesn't seem to be a question of what you're missing, so much as what's keeping what's not missing from working properly.

I'd say wait and hope for other options, but a nonfunctional machine makes an ugly paperweight.

I don't have any other suggestions to offer short of a reinstall. Your drive should be fine to 'slave' in another machine so that you can retrieve/backup data. You may need to Take Ownership of the files when you do that--the authoritative article on that process in Windows XP is here.

Here's hoping someone else wanders along with a simpler solution...

Sorry.

10. nick77777

nick77777 Thread Starter

I found the solution here for anyone who has this problem in the future.

1. Boot from XP CD
    2. At the menu, press R to load the Recovery Console.
    3. At the command prompt, type this:
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config
    4. Overwrite: Y

11. The Hound

The Hound

Good work! ---that's replacing the entire system hive of your registry (which was probably goofed by the FastFox thing) from backup (the repair folder), .

Wish I'd have thought of that...

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Good find!

There is one potential issue that can affect some systems though.
    On some OEM systems doing this will lock you out of the system. You won't have a password that will work.
    It's the same issue that MS warns about here:

The system hive they are talking about is the one in the repair folder.
    If you've ever run the XP Backup program and saved the system state, that warning doesn't apply.

Copying the system hive from a Restore point akso avoids the problem. You can use this procedure to do so:

Once booted to the Recovery Console, you should be at a C:\Windows> prompt. If your drive letter is not C, use the correct one for your system in the rest of this procedure.
    Type the following and press Enter after each line.
    There are spaces between the different colors.

1. CD System32\Config
    2. Ren system system.bak
    3. CD \
    4. CD system~1\_resto~1
      If it gives an "Access Denied" error, type Exit and let the system reboot.
      Re-enter the Recovery Console and start from step 3
    5. Dir
      This will list all the Restore Point folders. They are named rpX, where X is a number.
      The highest number will be the latest restore point.
      Pick the second to the last RP number, e.g, if the last number is 22, use 21 for X
      Note the Date of the folder as well.
    6. CD rpX
    7. CD snapshot
    8. Copy _registry_machine_system C:\Windows\system32\config\system
    9. Exit
    See if you can now log into Windows.
    Once back into Windows, do a System Restore to the same date as the date of the RP folder you used.
    If that doesn't work, try an earlier Restore Point folder. If none of them work, then try the Repair folder, or do a Repair installation of Windows.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice