1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rp330, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

when I leave my computer on the screen saver for a while the keyboard goes dead. or locks up. I can't use it on e-mail or word programs, it won't work. I have to reload the computer again to get it online again. I checked in the control panel for keyboard, says it is working fine,but it isen't. why is it doing this? any sugestions as how to fix this problem? thank you

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Has this always happened? What kind of keyboard is it?

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

HP, and if I'm wrong 20 lashes............... with a wet noodle. ;)

DS

4. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

this is a IBM APTIVA keyboard. no it hasen't been doing this.It worked fine until I upgraded to windows xp, then found out that my printer was not compatable with xp and my scanner was not either, and some of the software that I was using did not run on xp. So I reinstalled win 98 back in. since then the keyboard takes fits.It will work for a while, then if I leave the computer turned on to the screensaver and leave for a while,the keyboard shuts down. the light is still on but will not work. have to reboot the computer to get it online again.don't know why it does that.its like it goes into sleep mode,but just the keyboard????

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

rp330,

"its like it goes into sleep mode,but just the keyboard????"

What are your power management options set at?

Try....... Always on
    ............Never
    ............Never
    ............Never

DS

6. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

I think that did it.
    it was set at:
    power management- enabled
    never
    never
    never
    I disabled everything and now the keyboard stays on. I wonder why that is. I didn't have to do that before. It always worked good. thanks for your help.

7. Dark Star

Dark Star

rp330,

Glad that did it........no problemo.

DS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice