1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keyboard problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laurie52, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

I think my keyboard is dying. It's nearly five years old but up til now been very stable.

It's the one that came with an older eMachine 600 (with all the upper toots and whistles additional buttons that I never used) back in late 2002. That machine finally had to be retired in mid 2005 and got a HP 504 2gig with WinXP Home SP2. As it did not come with a keyboard, I just attached this one.

Now the last few days, it has been acting up. Letters will not appear while typing. I hit the shift and something else pops up. If I highlight a line of print to be copied or deleted within a paragraph....the whole paragraph will be highlighted. I hit "enter" and my whole line of text will be deleted instead of going to the line to begin another paragraph.

I will be writing a reply in a letter and when I hit "shift", the "Find Address box" opens up. Lately, when using the back direction button to correct a misspelling, the line skips beyond where I want to be.

I am not a heavy handed typist (learned my typing skills back in the 60s with original IBM Selectrics)

I check to see if any keys are sticking and none are. I live in the desert so it's not easy to keep everything pristine clean. It has also been very cold of late at night but that should not be a problem either.

Lately, I have been disabling a number of HP only processes found in my Windows Task Manager as I do not need them running in the background. ( i.e. hpgs2wnf.exe, HpqCmon.exe, hpg2wnd.exe, and DVDaccess.exe.) I have not removed these programs through my "Add/Remove" so when I click on "End Process" a warning box comes up to tell me to do so, "termination may cause instability". I have done this because it frees up more RAM while playing Morrowind since my HP 504n only has 82845 intergrated graphics. (the computer came with only 256 RAM but I stuck in another 512 of the same speed)

Could my "terminating" these processes be an additional source of my keyboard acting up?

Lastly, just about the time this happened I received a Windows Update to Win 7 (I cliked on "No") but before that box appeared to install or not, some files were installed (I thought the usual updated files). Now, when a page is collapsed to "below" and want to bring it up over another....it will say "Cascade" or "Tiled" or whatever as if this was treated as a background. I have to collapse the first page and THEN the second will come up only after I clik on "Restore".

These problems do not happen continually but enough to give me a headache. Argh!

I have both Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware and use them. I defragged my machine last week. I have AVG 7.5 and my WinXP SP2 firewall is up. My current browser is 6 although I might install the Win 7 if this will help correct anything

Any ideas?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

The first thing I'd recommend is to go to Office Depot or another outlet and get a cheap $10.00 keyboard and try it. If that clears up all your entry problems then we can concentrate on the other stuff. If it doesn't then we'll know if you have malware / virus issues or a corrupted Windows install.

3. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

I found another keyboard to use. My old one does need a good cleaning, though. Doing a cursory once over, maybe some particles dropped down or dust accumulation that is finally causing it to act up. No sticky keys though.

Do not know how old this newer one is (local person had it for sale) but it is heavier construction than my previous one. Keystroke feels like an old IBM selectric keyboard.

I did not terminate any HP only programs through my Windows Task manager this time. Hope this is all that is needed.

I do not have the backup disk to reinstall the "Windows XP Home Edition" if I have any corrupted files installed after the Windows Update appeared. I refused to install the IE 7 when asked by the prompt. I am still running IE 6

So cross fingers.

4. Laurie52

Laurie52 Thread Starter

Solved: Apparently it was the old keyboard causing all the problems. So far the problems, outlined in my openning statement, have not reoccurred since switching keyboards.

After nearly five years of desert heat, dust, particles and constant use, it finally stopped working properly enough to intefer. It will be cleaned thoroughly and boxed as a backup.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm glad that was it. You can mark this thread solved using the Thread Tools at the top.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice