1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Keyboard USB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captainron276, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captainron276

captainron276 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ron
    I am having a problem with my USB keyboard not making contact. Just in the past week it has happened several times when I turn on the computer that I get this message to hit F1 due to no signal from keyboard. Of course hitting F1 on a dead keyboard does absolutely nothing..LOL. So, I just moved the USB to another slot and it works. I have had to move it or just wiggle it on two other start ups now. Is there some way to make this keyboard more secure in it's USB?

Thanks,

Ron

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Ron:

The USB ports may be getting flakey and worn out. Have you considered using a PS/2 keyboard?

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Keyboards and USB Controllers entries, then double-click the keyboard description and each USB Root Hub entry to open their properties window, then make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked, then click OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    It was not checked; will consider a PS/2 keyboard. Is there a USB to PS/2 plug?

4. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    USB FEMALE TO PS2 MALE Adapter Converter keyboard MOUSE? Is this the culprit I need to convert?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, there are USB to PS/2 converters so you can connect a USB keyboard or USB mouse into a PS/2 port.

Most Logitech USB mice that I've bought in the past have one of those converters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Thank you :)

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and happy holiday. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice