1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] keyboard won't work in bios setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corman842, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

Hi, I just got this motherboard,Asus model A7V8X-MX, I finished building the system, and went to set up the bios (award bios 6.0) only to discover that the keyboard would not work. I tried this with several new keyboards, and it still did not work. All I got was the bios telling me to hit del for setup, and when I hit delete, nothing would happen.It also said what my CPU was, and memory, which it got correctly. Upon startup the three lights on the keyboard blink on and off once at the same time, so I know that the keyboard is in correctly, and I tried it in both the keyboard and mouse ports to no avail. What's the problem here? it's a new board, why isn't it working? Please help!
    Cory Luquet
    PS: I tried replacing the battery upon the suggestion of something on a message board, and it did not work. Also, if you need my system specs, they are as follows:
    Asus A7V8X-MX mobo
    athlon XP 2000+ CPU
    256mb pc2100 DDR
    40gig Maxtor 7200rpm HD
    sony 52x cd-rom
    sony 32/10/40 CD-rw
    17" monitor
    integrated sound, lan, video

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

was it working before

3. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

No, this is a new setup I just built. my problem is I can't get into the setup at all to even get the computer up and running. I don't even have windows installed on it yet because I can't get into the bios to set it up.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Doe it connect straight to the computer or with an adapter?

5. Disturbed

Disturbed

grab an old keyboard from that pile of them in the corner
    They always seem to work.

6. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

It's a PS/2 keyboard that connects straight to the computer. I tried it with a few other keyboards, unfortunatly it still didn't work, so I don't think it's the keyboard.

7. ~Candy~

Sounds like it could be the keyboard port itself. Per chance on the motherboard, are there any jumpers nearby to disable that port? Never run across it, but who knows.....did you check in the motherboard manual?

8. Sancho

Sancho

could be the port. try a USB keyboard if possible. some bioses let you use them from the get go, others you have to enable USB keyboard support inside them.

9. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

I just did, and it appears that there is no such jumper. If only it were that easy...
    Also, unfortunatly I don't have a USB keyboard, nor do I know of anyone nearby who could lend me one. maybe I'll ask around for it if i can't figure this out.

10. ~Candy~

What happens if you start up without a keyboard attached? Do you get a keyboard error message?

11. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

nope, I get the same screen I get when the keyboard attached. it has stuff about the bios version, my CPU, Memory, graphics, and says to press del for setup and alt+f2 for AWDFLASH

12. pronute

pronute

Dose the I/O shield have the grounding tabs on it? Some cases have really cheap I/O shields with out grounding tabs, and most motherboards require a good ground on all the external peripherals.

13. ~Candy~

Well, my guess is that if the keyboard isn't even missed, something is bad with the connector and/or motherboard.....

14. corman842

corman842 Thread Starter

What are grounding tabs? I'm sorry, I know some about computers, but am still a quasi-beginner.
    I suppose I should call Asus on monday when they're tech support is open, and see if they think I should send it back for a replacement...that would annoy me greatly, but oh well, what can you do

15. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Since this is a new mother board, I would back up and check the basics such as making sure the mother board is not grounding to the case somewhere (perhaps on a standoff), the clear CMOS jumper on the mother board is not set to the "clear" position, etc. Also disconnect everything except the processor/fan, memory, monitor, keyboard and mouse and see if it will work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice