1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Killing a tree stump

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by stinger8302, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stinger8302

stinger8302 Thread Starter

Ok folks I've heard some good ideas on what to use to kill a tree stump I just cut down a tree for my mother in law but never had to do anything with the stump before I've heard to drill holes in it and pour straight bleach in it. I know they make some kind of powder of some sort to put on them. and I've heard to drive some penny nails in it. I just never had to do this before and looking for the best way. What would you guys suggest? thanks for any replies.

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First things first. Never, ever drive nails into a tree or stump. Someone with a chainsaw may need to get at it some day and it could turn into a dangerous situation.

Now about killing the tree. Do you live within a town / city limit? If so do it the legal way and it's something I can't comment on because I have never do it that way. If you live in the country then good 'ol gasoline works. Drill a pile of holes in said stump and over the course of a week or so pour gas over it. Also dig a bit of a trench around the stump and soak with gas off for the same period. Never light the gas!

3. stinger8302

inside city limits and to close to the house it's right up againts the foundation of the house.

4. stinger8302

with all the kids around the neighborhood I wouldn't feel safe puttin gasoline over it.

5. HalTrout

HalTrout

I suggest a pick, axe and shovel.

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

That's why I asked you where you lived so I second what HalTrout said.

7. stinger8302

Well if it wasn't between the foundation of a house and a concrete sidewalk that'd already be done by now but I'll just drill holes in the stump and pour bleach in it..seems about to be the easiest route.thanks for the posts guys.

8. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Drill several holes in it as far down as you can and pour salt in the holes.

We've logged three acres (on a hill side so that it could not be stumped or we'd loose too much topsoil) and had to deal with the stumps. Drill holes and pour salt. Best way we've found. Seems to work better than bleach.

9. stinger8302

ok will try that laura thanks for the tip. :)

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

I have known someone that drilled some deep holes into a couple of stumps and poured a small amount of copper sulfate crystals into each hole and added water. Copper Sulfate is the primary ingredient in some sewer line root killers you can find at a hardware store. It is also very poisonous to people and animals.

11. Knotbored

Knotbored

I am waiiting for the environmental cops to read these suggestions, wow with these thoughts there won't be any need to subsidize crops, the ground will all be steril anyway.

Killing off the stump depends on what tree its attached to-if its an evergreen (fir/hemlock) it will rot in a couple years, if its a maple it will sprout until you pull the stump out.
    But please never never poison the soil. Some future owner might plant carrots there.

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Cant you turn it into a feature .. i have a tree stump outside my front door to sit on

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've gotten rid of several by first leaving them for a year to "soften" them up, then I drill holes, pour kerosene in the holes (don't use gasoline!) and lighting them. They burn for hours, but it usually gets the stump down enough that I can put a few inches of dirt over them. :)

14. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Its right next to a house John lol be a brave soul who tried that ..

Turn it into something .. a bird table stand

15. hewee

hewee

C4 works great. :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/572035