1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Kingston SSD not properly detected by Win7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joegabba, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegabba

joegabba Thread Starter

FIXED! For those of you looking for the same solution, I used an Ubuntu disk (run the OS off the CD) and went into the Disk Partitioner, formatted it to ntfs... DONE! Can't believe I didn't try this earlier...

Build (prepare for the weakling)...

Device is Kingston SNVP325-S2/128GB

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR rev 1.0 (Flashed BIOS to F10)
    Pentium Dual E2200 2.20GHz
    2GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 32-bit
    Sparkle NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

BIOS sees the SSD just fine
    My Computer lists "Local Disk" but no size
    Disk Management (when it actually loads) shows the drive and SOMETIMES the size (only once so far)
    Disk drives under Device Manager sees "KINGSTON SNVP325S2128GB ATA Device"
    Windows 7 install disk does NOT see the drive which is annoying after it takes >15 minutes to even get to that point.

SSD supports TRIM, so I used a Windows registry fix, used cmd to check if it was enabled, and enabled AHCI on the BIOS.
    Windows detected stuff that needed drivers last night, Kingston installed properly, Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller said it failed, but it's listing now in Device Manager just fine... also a few ATA Channel # drivers said they failed but they are also listed.

Computer hangs for >20 minutes while shutting down.

Kingston doesn't list their drivers online and I don't have the DVD. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!