1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] KT7A-Raid and Athlon XP 1700+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeFaraday, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeFaraday

MikeFaraday Thread Starter

I'm currently trying to sort out a friend's PC, which was having a number of different problems. Over the course of a month or so, he has replaced most of the components but (different) problems keep appearing. I decided to strip the whole machine back to basics and put everything back in one component at a time.
    I've now just got in:
    An ABIT KT7A-Raid motherboard,
    An Athlon XP 1700+
    512Mb P133 SDRAM
    Creative Labs GeForce 2
    and a floppy drive

All components, except for the floppy are brand new. I flashed the Bios with the new firmware (65) and now something very odd is happening. First time I boot the machine up, it comes up with the "CMOS checksum error" message, as you'd expect. I pop into the setup program, save and exit, and the machine just sits there, no reboot. Nothing. So I reboot, the power lights come on, fans start, but nothing else, no POST beep. If I jumper the pins to wipe the bios, it'll come back up like before, but if I enter the setup program the same thing happens.
    I tried running the pc without entering setup and I noticed that it's showing the processor as an 1100 MHz chip (the setup program correctly showed it as a 1500 MHz), but it booted to a floppy okay. If I rebooted again, it came up with an error along the lines of "Processor has been replaced, or is set wrong, please enter setup".
    I then tried going back to an older version of the firmware (5S). This gave a different response, I could enter the setup, where it detected the chip as a 1500 (only a 100FSB, instead of 133), and it would exit and reboot. But from then on, it would detect the chip as an 1100.
    What could possibly be happening, and what can I do to correct the problem?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

3. MikeFaraday

MikeFaraday Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Lurker1.
    The board is v1.3, but I've since discovered what the problem was. The proc was showing up as a 1500 in the bios setup. It's a 1700+, but I knew that these actually run at 1500MHz, so I thought that was correct. It turns out that the setup was showing it as a 1500+ and was thus running the chip at 1100MHz. I set the chip to be a 1700+ and up it popped at 1500Mhz.
    I've never seen a chip show up by its name, rather than it's clock speed before, so that's what confused me.
    One to keep an eye on in the future, I think :)

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Mike

Thanks for letting us know what you found. It seems that these XP processors just need extra care as the bios detected the chip incorrectly. I just had something like that happen on my system where I had to manually crank the bus speed from 100 (default) up to 133. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice