1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lab_Environment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mountian, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hi Techguys! I hope eveyone is having a good week : )
    Is there any why to paste capture.png here for all to see?
    Ok here is my networking issue:
    this is the error I get when trying to join a client to a domain:An active Directory Controller for the domain could not be contacted
    The following error coccurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for Domain.
    Here are the specs and what i've done:
    I have a home network with a netgear WGR614v9 router.
    on my desktop i'm running workstation 9 with two server 2008 r2 enterprise domain controllers, the second is a backup joined to the forest or primary server.
    ROUTER:192.168.1.1 At lease that is what i type in to get into the router.
    SRV-1 :192.168.1.2 this primary server has three roles: DNS, Active Directory, DHCP.
    SRV-2 :192.168.1.3 this is the backup server it has two roles: DNS, Active Directory. Deployment configuration is Existing forest.
    SRV-1: DHCP is configured: Network bindings 192.168.1.2 Ipv4 DNS preferred: 192.168.1.2
    DHCP Scopes: Starting: IP 192.168.1.50 Ending: 192.168.1.254
    when I go to the client computer the wireless hp, it's on my profile; and try to join the domain it can't find the DHCP. someone told me to configure the client preferred DNS to point to SRV-1 192.168.1.2 and I did but still didn't work. I don't know what other info to give. The two servers see themselves and are in sync.:confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

3. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

thank you etaf I'm familiar with the tools your talking about, I just don't know how to upload them to this site. A captured.png for example from snipping tool.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Did you turn off the DHCP on the router?

To upload, click on Reply, then Manage Attachments.

5. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

No I haven't turned off DHCP on the router I'll try it now; thanks for the know how to add attachement to this site. fundemental i see:eek:

6. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I turn off DHCP on the router but the client still can't find the DHCP.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I assume the DHCP scopes were from the server? If so, then I think your router was handing the same IP addresses (.2, .3, etc) and may be conflicting.

How is everything connected (as in what device to what, and which ports)

8. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

ISP >modem>router>desktop (hard wired)> wireless laptops. I turned off DHCP on the router. pointed the nicks on the laptops to preferred DNS to the server. thats it. Any more suggestion are greatly appreciated; I have to go now will try again tonight. thanks again.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Where are the servers connected to? The router?

10. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

The servers are inside a virtual machine VMworkstation 9 hosted by my desktop and the desktop is connected to the router.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just curious, is this for a class project?

12. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up a lab environment; currently studying for the 70-680 MS exam then I have three server certs to work on.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) good luck with the certs... I am working on CCNA myself.

Are you able to ping the DHCP server? And also does the CPE confirms the default gateway is 192.168.1.2?

14. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If you're setting up a virtual environment that includes a domain controller, you should create a separate VM network for those computers. Then you can either enable DHCP on on the domain controller or configure each computer with a static IP.

15. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I can ping the two servers from inside the vm only them can't ping anything outside those two virtual machines. the default gateway is the router. Look at my first post you'll see how I have things set up. thanks for you help and good luck with ccna i'll be working on that in about 8to 12 months from now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice