1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Lacie 1TB external HD usb problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gridl0ck, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gridl0ck

gridl0ck Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have a Lacie 1TB desktop hard drive connected by USB. The external power pack connector has broken on the board so I have opened the hard drive and to my surprise there were actually two 500GB Samsungs in there making 1TB. What I would like to know is how the hard drives are filled up.

The hard drives are connected to a Lacie PCB with a Sata1 and sata 2 connector on it. As I fill the drive with files does it fill one hard drive first and then the second after? Or are the files "spread" across the two drives. I think they may be RAID or something but i'm not too familiar with that. I have only probably used around 200GB on it. Would it be possible to simply connect it to my PC via Sata and have all the files on the one hard drive? Or would I have to connect both hard drives to my pc in some sort of RAID setup?

Thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the drives are in RAID-0 or a Linux format then you are likely out of luck. Your best bet is to restore the files from a backup.

3. gridl0ck

gridl0ck Thread Starter

Hi I have managed to get the data back using TestDisk get databack.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats good news, and must mean it wasn't RAID-0 or some proprietary format. Thanks for posting back with the tools you used (y)

5. gridl0ck

gridl0ck Thread Starter

Hi no problem with getting back. Get databack have a Raid Recovery software, I was able to use that and see my files. I then quickly copied them over and success! :) Have marked thread as solved now.

6. Simba7

Simba7

I've used GetDataBack in the past. Definitely worth every penny.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice