1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: lag and lots of it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timbo400, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timbo400

timbo400 Thread Starter

I dled a game and installed (gta VC) and also installed "the all seeying eye" and "MTA version(i dont know)", during playing the game i encountered this massive lag/frame-skip every/approx 10 secs, i exited the game and found that the lag/frame-skip still continued, i reseted my computer and to find it was resloved, where after about 30-40 mins the continous lag came back, its starts of as small frameskips to over a long period of time (1 hour) unbearable frame skip as if the computer is running at full. I did a virus scan, adware scan, spy doctor scan, cws shredder scan and a hijack this scan. Only Spyware doctor found 700 things that it removed the most threatening thing a browser changing trojan/hijack thingy,still my comp has the constant lag/frameskip. ive uninstalled many unnessesary programs and games still to no avail. its is very annoying as i am not able to listen/watch/play anything without this ANNOYING lag. ive also changed my browser to firofx to see if it could be ie or something like that...

Windows XP SP2
    2.4ghz
    768ram
    200gb

if u want more info or a hijack log just ask

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Try using Tune-Up Utilities, CCLeaner and Diskeeper 9 Professional with Frag-Shield to check the size of your drive's MFTs, if they are formatted to NTFS, and then try a fixed 2000/2000 Min/Max Paging file.

Some of these games require a LOT of RAM.

I have 3 x 256Mb, but this MSI mainboard will take 3 x 512MB of PC133 SDRAM

(So the manufacturer should have sold it with 1 x 512Mb module, in my opinion.)

How much free-space do you have?

3. timbo400

timbo400 Thread Starter

free-space? as in hard disk or ram?
    ram ive only got 2 slots and both are obviously used up (1 512 and 1 256)
    ive got 2 hds one 40gb(running fat32) and one 160gb(ntfs)

i posted my problem in another forum but they said it could be a program that has a memory leak...

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

As you can see I decided to increase the RAM to try it out. Hasn't made much difference so far, but then I haven't had time to use any big programs and I don't use games at all.

Looks like you could change the 256Mb module for a 512Mb one though.

Which drive are you running the games on?

The NTFS drive has a Master File Table and this needs careful attention. If it is too small there will be an insufficiency of addresses for files.

Just got back from another computer which was running slow. Installed Diskeeper 9 Professional and checked the MFT. Running at 75% full.

The recommendation was to increase the number of addresses from approximately 45,000 to 171,000 so I increased them to 200,000 using DK9 Pro's Frag-Shield.

A very noticeable difference in performance. Applications ZAP open now, and web-pages load very fast indeed.

So I would D/L DK9 PRO and try out Frag-Shield and see if it makes a perceptabe difference on your computer.

Do you need FAT32 on the 40Gb drive or is it possible to convert it to NTFS?

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

"Just got back from another computer which was running slow. Installed Diskeeper 9 Professional and checked the MFT. Running at 75% full.
    The recommendation was to increase the number of addresses from approximately 45,000 to 171,000 so I increased them to 200,000 using DP9 Pro's Frag-Shield."

Can you please explain how increasing the MFT zone, that was only 75% full to begin with, makes "a noticeable increase in performance"?

You have the same number of original MFT entries, and have just made a large buffer area to handle more.

You keep recommending reviewing/changing this area, so I "presume" you can explain why it has any affect.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

I'll leave that to you gentlemen as you are so willing to explain these things kindly to people.

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Have you quite finished with your inquisition?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Rampage,

WhitPhil has some good point and I'm a little confused by your statement as well.

Hopefully you aren't going to turn this forum into something where people can just go ahead and make any statement or claim as true.

All that is being asked is that you offer a technical explaination of what you wrote. It seems like something we could benefit by clearing up.

Replies such as "I'll leave that to you gentlemen as you are so willing to explain these things kindly to people." only go to diminish any technical credibility you may have.

If you can explain your posts, then explain them. If you can't, then don't make them. But don't pass it off on others to try and figure out what you mean.

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is nothing on the either link that says anything like what was claimed. The second one doesn't even mention MFT at all !!!

Maybe you can cut and paste from the links you provided the text that explains how increasing a MFT that is not full helps performance.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

timbo400,

Finding 700 traces of spyware is not very good. First off, downloading games is probably the safest thing to do.

Since one program found all those traces, I would also use others such as Spybot and Ad-Aware. I have yet to see one program find everything.

Also, even though the spyware may have been removed, I have also seen where too much damage has been done. If even after this performance is still poor, you might consider a repair install.

13. timbo400

timbo400 Thread Starter

hey thnx for trying but i dont think its something to do with my hds, cuz i just played one game and it started happening, ive been pplaying games like hl2 for months no problem....

14. timbo400

timbo400 Thread Starter

the thing is that my comp isnt running slow well actually it RUNS slow every 10 secs/when the lag spikes come along otherwise its fine but its as if im running at like 2 fps on everything like music skipping and crap like that

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For more information, is the computer slow in general, all the time, for all programs, or just every 10 seconds when playing this particular game or listening to music?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice