Solved: lag and lots of it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Sounds like were' getting on a bit of a tangent here. May be a good time to start a separate thread on various backup and restore methods. Getting a SP2 updates CD seems a bit off the original problem, which seems to be solved. Also, without more information regarding how the drive is configured or what other hardware is installed, there might be better alternatives.

timbo400

hey guys yeh ive solved it, thank you for your help (i dunno how to close this thread or wotever) and the problem was that my dsl monitor program mustve been corrupted and "stealing" memory and one last question if i want to change my 40gb FAT 32 drive to a ntfs system can i convert it without formattting it? cuz my 160 is ntfs and i just want it to be uniform or wotever its called. well thanks again guys

RAM-PAGE

Banned
timbo400 said:
hey guys yeh i've solved it, thank you for your help (i dunno how to close this thread or wotever) and the problem was that my dsl monitor program mustve been corrupted and "stealing" memory and one last question if i want to change my 40gb FAT32 drive to a ntfs system can i convert it without formattting it? cuz my 160 is ntfs and i just want it to be uniform or wotever its called. Well thanks again guys
No problem, and we are all pleased to hear that the issue has been successfully resolved. :)

Yes you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS. For instructions on how to do so take a look in Help and Support on your Start Menu and type 'convert' in the search window.

You'll find quite a lot of MSKB Articles on the subject.

Thanks for letting us know. Just mark the thread 'Solved' using the Thread Tools at the top of the page, if you will.

Rampage,

Important point is that here is yet another problem that was not solved by "Diskeeper 9 Professional with Frag-Shield to check the size of your drive's MFTs".

Although you are very excited and pleased about using this problem. Please don't narrow your focus and then lose site of how very few problems are going to be solved by it.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Bob Cerelli said:
Rampage,

Important point is that here is yet another problem that was not solved by "Diskeeper 9 Professional with Frag-Shield" to check the size of your drive's MFTs".

Although you are pleased about tacking this problem. Please don't narrow your focus and then lose sight of how very few problems are going to be solved by it.
The really important point is that many more people who read these threads are now using the product and getting better performance results.

Now LOTS of drives are benefitting from running properly.

As to solving problems generally, I doubt very much if we will solve any of the more serious global problems by using a computer.

I just look at the basics, and leave the experts to deal with the fiddling detail.

Guess it's great to have a singular mission in life. But I still don't see in this or in any of the other numerous threads, one single bit of performance data or testing procedures backing up any of these amazing claims. You would think there would be at least one if it were so revolutionary. Even tried searching the Internet in general a found nothing specific. Just general claims like yours and from the manufacturers.

Rampage,

I'm not sure what the details are behind "people who read these threads are now using the product and getting better performance results"

Maybe to help with you on this, to be more specific, what are the "better performance performance results" the many people are getting? Again, I would assume that if you are making the claim, would by now be a fair of data to back that up. Just haven't seen it.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
I would recommend you try the product yourself Bob.

According to what I have read, some are claiming twice the performance they had before!

Astounding!

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Bob Cerelli said:
I'm not sure what the details are behind "people who read these threads are now using the product and getting better performance results"

Maybe to help with you on this, to be more specific, what are the "better performance performance results" the many people are getting? Again, I would assume that if you are making the claim, would by now be a fair of data to back that up. Just haven't seen it.
I was just kidding around there Bob.

"The really important point is that many more people who read these threads are now using the product and getting better performance results.

Now LOTS of drives are benefitting from running properly."

Seems like a pretty clear statement to me.

Maybe to help with your performance documentation on this, to be more specific, what are the better performance performance results the many people are getting? Again, I would assume that if you are making the claim, would by now be a fair of data to back that up. Just haven't seen it.

1. Since there is the claim of increased performance, what is being increased? Boot time? Time to open various applications? Network throughput? It's got to be something that can be timed. A general sense of things being faster really doesn't offer that much. Then measure that performance before any changes are made.

2. Only make one change at a time. So if padding the MFT is supposedly what is increasing performance, just do that. Do not do any file cleanups, spyware scans, derfags etc.

3. Document the current configuration. So if padding MFT is the big performance gain, what was it before and after.

4. Then measure you performance again and post the results.

Other than advertising descriptions, and since none has been provided, I've been trying to find some actual performance testing has been done regarding Diskeeper9

One site that actually had performance data:
http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/diskeeper/index2.html

"Benchmarks seem to show Diskeeper 9 offering a slightly better file system improvement compared to the XP defragmenter. The improvement comes at a cost of slower completion time. "

Mix of user opinions based on features and performance:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11889368~mode=flat

If anyone else has done similar testing or found similar pages with actual results, it would be good to know.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
RAM-PAGE said:
As you can see I decided to increase the RAM to try it out. Hasn't made much difference so far, but then I haven't had time to use any big programs and I don't use games at all.

Looks like you could change the 256Mb module for a 512Mb one though.

Which drive are you running the games on?

The NTFS drive has a Master File Table and this needs careful attention. If it is too small there will be an insufficiency of addresses for files.

Just got back from another computer which was running slow. Installed Diskeeper 9 Professional and checked the MFT. Running at 75% full.

The recommendation was to increase the number of addresses from approximately 45,000 to 171,000 so I increased them to 200,000 using DK9 Pro's Frag-Shield.

A very noticeable difference in performance. Applications ZAP open now, and web-pages load very fast indeed.

So I would D/L DK9 PRO and try out Frag-Shield and see if it makes a perceptabe difference on your computer.

Do you need FAT32 on the 40Gb drive or is it possible to convert it to NTFS?
I still don't see the words "even when it is not full".

RAM-PAGE

Banned
If the MFT is too small AND 75% full, what happens when you open several applications, go on-line and open several web pages?

In my own case the C: drive MFT was reported as being 99% full when using only Diskeeper's Frag-Shield and with no other applications open.

Can you please provide any performance data to support your claim "A very noticeable difference in performance."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online