Solved Solved: Lamers Death 2.6 Possible False-Positive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
S

Silver Drop

Cheers Everyone,

Am I the only one who's frustrated with 'partial free trial Anti-Spyware that detects but requires you purchase to remove'? My Firewall Software is bundled with a fully functional Anti-virus and a 'just detect until you subscribe' antispyware'. They are provided by my ISP and I like having a lesser known Firewall than Windows. For a long time I paid for the full Anti-Spyware, then purchased Spyware Doctor and having that, along with Ad-Aware and Spybot,I didn't think I needed it anymore. It doesn't usually turn up much but for the last 2 weeks its been reporting 2 things nothing else finds:

Lamers Death 2.6 and LinkGrabber99

When I had the full version (that removed) it always detected "CWS Google" as a False Positive created by misunderstanding SpywareBlaster. Whenever I removed CWS with the one program, one item became 'unprotected' in Blaster and when I protected all in Blaster...CWS returned in the other. However, because I can't remove any longer with the ISP program, I can't check to see if these may be more false positives.

Lamers Death 2.6 is reported as an Application. It shows a path to the file:files_head.png (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge\Resources\en\mediafiles\files_png

Linkgrabber99 is reported as a Registry Key: hkey_users\.default\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings\zonemap\domains\mywebsearch.net

I checked and neither SpywareDoctor or Spybot search for Lamers Death or alias names I found. ( I don't know how to check if Blaster simulates it or Ad-aware checks for it ).

So do I have to subscribe to this Anti-Spyware too...or can a HJT or other means confirm/dis-confirm the presence of this threat. ( Not as concerned about the Linkgrabber)

Would Appreciate Feedback after helping others with more immediate problems...

Thank-you, SD :)

The hkey_users\.default\software\microsoft\windows\current version\internet settings\zonemap\domains\mywebsearch.net entry it is finding is restricted site put there by Spybot,SpywareBlaster or Spysweeper one so it is definiltely not a problem.

I'm pretty sure the files_png it's finding is a false positive too.

What Anti-spyware app is it that your ISP provides and who is your ISP?

S

Silver Drop

Glad to hear it! :)

My ISP is Bell ( Canada ) Sympatico. They offer a bundle of Freedom Zero Knowledge security software;Firewall,Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Detection on a monthly subscription basis. However, if you want to be able to remove your spyware, the monthly fee doubles. I use AVG Free for real-time Virus Protection and use both for scheduled scans.

Thanks for the reply!
Any way I can be certain about the creepy-remote access one...? ( Without purchasing their monthly service to remove it :p )

Hope your Having a Great Day,
SD

You can scan the file at this olnline scanner.

Go here

Look at the top of the page for the Submit file box.

Click on Browse

Navigate to the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge\Resources\en\mediafiles folder and upload the .... files_png .... file and let us know what it finds.

S

Silver Drop

Well, no virus was found. File was deemed:Clean. So I can safely assume this for any malware then, correct? Safe to assume Freedom's flagging it is a mistake?

That site was great - you guys know all the good places to go. (y)

Thanks for all the help!

sd

You're welcome! :)

Silver Drop said:
So I can safely assume this for any malware then, correct? Safe to assume Freedom's flagging it is a mistake?
I don't know that I would go sa far as to say that, but from what you have siad here, It looks to me like it does use questionable tactics trying to entice you to purchase a subscription. That's enough info there for me to give it this....(n) and say not to use it. Use the reliable programs like Adware, Spybot and MS Anti-Spyware which are all free and get rid of that one. If you have problems they can't fix, you can always come here and get help.

S

Silver Drop

OK. Well thanks again flrman1. Hope your working from a laptop on a beach somewhere! Bye. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online