1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: LAN connected/no internet access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Yonce, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yonce

Yonce Thread Starter

I am working on an E-machine w/ Windows XP. On complaints of slow internet connection w/ Cable Modem, I cleared out all the temp internet files and caches and downloaded Mozilla Firefox for browsing instead of IEprovided by Yahoo (thats what IE said at the top). Windows was up to date and Windows firewall was turned on. I added Mozilla Firefox to the exceptions on Windows firewall and everything seemed great. I restarted the computer many times, no problems. 2 days later there is no internet connection. I reset the modem and I checked and the LAN connection says its connected but neither browser will access the net. I rechecked the firewall even turned it off w/ no success. Norton Antivirus is running on the machine but I don't believe it has a firewall. the TCP/IP properties are all set to find IP addresses automatically. Tried to 'repair connection' to no avail. Not sure what to do next? Thanks for any help.
    sincerely,
    Yonce

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Since the cable modem is supposed to be always on it looks to me as if the problem lies with your ISP have you tried contacting them,at least to see if there are any problems their end? It may also be worth your while to re-instal the cable modem using the disk that came with it ....

3. Yonce

Yonce Thread Starter

Ok I'll try that. Calling Time Warner is a nighmare, was on hold 2x each for 30 min before I was disconnected. Will reply when re-installation tried. Do i need to 'uninstall' the network connection before I try re-installing the software? XP insists I have at least 1 network connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your modem may have some LEDs that can be very informative. Mine has Recieve and Send that show whether the modem is getting/sending a signal, online, activity and standby as well as power.

My neighbor eventually discovered (without bothering to read the manual, of course) that on her modem green connect lights but no blinking activity light meant that she had pressed the "offline" button.

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Yours may be different to mine,but last time I did it I just went into network connections in the control panel and disabled the connection,then re-installed the modem ....

6. Yonce

Yonce Thread Starter

Tried to reinstall modem software, it goes through a diagnostic to check the computer's internet settings and says 'cannot detect ethernet card'. This seems strange since the LAN icon in network connections and the network icon both say connected at 100bps. BTW the Send light on the modem is not lit, neither is the standby or online lights. The only button on the modem is labeled standby and pressing it seems to do nothing. Think I need to open the case and wiggle the ethernet card? Modem shot? Suggestions welcome, getting a second opinion tomorrow night.

Thanks again I'll post if/when the prob is solved.
    Yonce

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Modem's Send light not lit means the modem does not have a connection to your ISP. Forget your computer--it has nothing to do with the problem.

If also no Receive light your ISP may be down, and you should check with them before spending much other effort.

The modem may have died, but I think that the most likely cause is a bad connection (or bad cable) somewhere.

To get to your modem the coax cable should be going through only one splitter, and it should be a good one (e.g., Radio Shack $10 or $12, not the $5 one). Check all connections from the modem back to the outside of your house. Disconnect each, examine, and reconnect securely.

There could also be a problem with the cable company's cable; e.g., a wind blown one is loose or a buried one is wet or has been chewed upon by squirrels.

8. Yonce

Yonce Thread Starter

The computer owner after all this finally says, "and all my cable channels are out too by the way"

What a waste of time. Thanks anyways.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reminds me of the 20 year old story of the guy who called tech support to say his screen went all black and he couldn't see his document. After a bunch of questions he couldn't answer whether the monitor was still plugged in because it was too dark to see "back there" because the power was out. Legend has it that the tech support lost his job after telling the customer to put his computer back into the original boxes and return it because he was too stupid to use a computer.

Geez. When my modem indicates no connection the very first thing I do is flick the TV on. That's so automatic that I've never thought to suggest it to somebody else.

You could mark this thread 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right. Thanks for completing the story!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice