Solved: LAN driver problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theseus75

I just reinstalled Windows and for some reason, it's not recognizing my Marvell Gigabit LAN on the mobo. I can't get on the Internet because of it, so I can't have it search for drivers on the Internet when I try to fix the problem. I have gone into the device manager, and the ethernet controller shows up with the yellow question mark, but when I try to reintsall the driver, I've had no luck. I've looked on the CD that came with my mobo, but I can;t find anything specific to the Marvell. I've aLso tried downloading the Marvell driver from their Web site (among other places) but they never say where to put the driver, and when I have the reintsall function search wherever I've downloaded the driver, it just passes right over it.

In short, I need to find someway to reinstall the Marvell driver, but the drivers I've found are "system file" types and nothing I can just double click on and install. And the reinstall function seems pretty useless at this point, as does the CD that came with the mobo, which had LAN drivers, but they're stuff like LeadTek and, once installed, don't seem to have any effect.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
Socket A ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
1 gb OCZ (2 x 512) 3200 DDR RAM
160 gb SATA
XFX GeForce 6600gt
SoundBlaster Audigy 2: Gamer
ATX 450W PSU
Memorex CR-RW/DVD-RW
X-Dreamer II case

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to load the motherboard drivers before you load the NIC driver for most boards.

theseus75

I never had to load anything from the mobo disk before, and while I'm almost positive the disk I have is what came with my mobo (it's rather generic looking and doesn't have a name on it to signify if it's the right one), there does not appear to be a way to conduct some universal install of all the modo drivers: they're separate and every one having to do with the LAN I've already tried. It just seems strange that there's nothing out there that just acts like a video or soundcard driver--where you just click and it self-installs.

To answer the previous suggestions, too, I've tried navigating to the driver available online, but it doesn't recognize it.

NO thats not true . One pc i have home build, I WILL mobo P4GB : mobo disc installer has intel set up>utilities >sound> &eathernet driver. MY mobo the p4 does have on board eathernet but I put in a pci card that runs faster

You can't lead it to the one online. You must download the proper driver, unzip it, if it contains a setup.exe, you need to run that. If it contains inf files, you must lead it to the folder on your HD where you unzipped the file to.

theseus75

All right, I found the CD that came with my mobo finally. I was trying to use a generic CD of drivers, but it took finding the original to load them. For some reason, the drivers for both the Marvell and the nVidia Nforce devices that I found online (and from more than one place) were not doing the job. Oh well, it's taken care of now. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online