1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: LAN file transfer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MajorLeeAwesome, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MajorLeeAwesome

MajorLeeAwesome Thread Starter

Hi there, I have an XPSP3 netbook and a Win7 pc. They are connected wirelessly by default, however I want a LAN connection for faster file transfers between the two. What is the easiest way to do this - I have a regular network cable connecting them at the mo and they're both on the same workgroup but still no joy. Help?

2. warrior19

warrior19

Is the network cable between both a cross over. It will need to be a cross over to work between PC LAN Cards. You can tell if the cable is cross over or not by the colours of the 8 wires at both ends:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable SEE HERE.

If the same colours to same pins either end. It is a straight through ethernet cable. Otherwise the pins should follow the wiring as per the cross over pins on wiki site.

3. MajorLeeAwesome

MajorLeeAwesome Thread Starter

Legend, thank you off to town to buy one now!

4. warrior19

warrior19

No problem. Good Luck!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Neither NIC is auto-sensing (MDI/MDI-X)?

6. warrior19

warrior19

These modern guys kill me. I am assuming not but your cards might be auto-sensing but if that was the case it would be working unless it is an IP issue?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've also seen a few cases where Windows file sharing gets "confused" when there are two paths to the same place (e.g., the wireless through the router and direct through the cable).

And I always suspect a firewall when that is a possibility. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice