Solved: LAN file transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MajorLeeAwesome

Hi there, I have an XPSP3 netbook and a Win7 pc. They are connected wirelessly by default, however I want a LAN connection for faster file transfers between the two. What is the easiest way to do this - I have a regular network cable connecting them at the mo and they're both on the same workgroup but still no joy. Help?

Is the network cable between both a cross over. It will need to be a cross over to work between PC LAN Cards. You can tell if the cable is cross over or not by the colours of the 8 wires at both ends:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable SEE HERE.

If the same colours to same pins either end. It is a straight through ethernet cable. Otherwise the pins should follow the wiring as per the cross over pins on wiki site.

These modern guys kill me. I am assuming not but your cards might be auto-sensing but if that was the case it would be working unless it is an IP issue?

TerryNet

Terry
I've also seen a few cases where Windows file sharing gets "confused" when there are two paths to the same place (e.g., the wireless through the router and direct through the cable).

And I always suspect a firewall when that is a possibility. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online