1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: LAN Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Winzz, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Hello there,

First of all, let me introduce my LAN system:
    (sorry, on attachment)

Then, my question is: how do I connect "My Computer" to PC "A" and the DSL Modem? As I observed, my computer is currently unable to access both of them *PC A and Comtrend CT-5071.

Thank you in Advance!

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how is the 2nd router setup - as a switch on the same range of IP address or as a separate network

and exactly how connected what ports are used

3. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Hello etaf,

Thank you for replying the first post.

The 2nd router you meant is the TP-Link (Wi-Fi) router, isn't it?
    For this one, I am not sure how should I say it. When I installed it, I only modified it to connect using the PPPoE method as well as enabled the Wi-Fi function.

I am hoping both may connect. I can't see who are connected in the Comtrend CT-5071.

I hope my answers may give you some inspiration.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what ports did you use ?

are you using the 2nd router TP-Link as a switch or using as a 2nd router with its own DHCP setting and connected from the TP-Link WAN port to one of the dlink lan1-4 Ports?

5. bill222

bill222

1) Nice picture! :) What did you use to draw it?

2) Is there a critical reason you want to use both routers? Dropping the D-LINK and just using the TP-LINK would leave you with a simpler system.

3) I am not expert in such things. But if you keep both routers... I think there is a problem with using PPPoE on the second router. I suspect one or the other should be in bridge mode?

I am interested in hearing the answers myself, as I have a similar setup. I have a Westell modem/router from my ISP, and I added a high-end Linksys/Cisco router to get extended range. What I did was set the second router to use automatic setup using the DHCP on the first. Then I wound up with two separate networks... one in the 198.168.x.x range managed by the Westell, then another in the 10.224.x.x range managed by the Cisco. I can get internet on a computer connected to either router, but computers on the two separate networks do not talk to each other. So I wound up connecting everything to the Cisco.

This is ok in my case (the routers are side-by-side, and the Cisco has plenty of connections to support everything) so I just turned off wireless on the Westell and did not connect anything but the Cisco to it. But I would like to know how one really should set up two cascaded routers if you want computers connected to both to be able to talk among themselves.

6. ncrdisabled

ncrdisabled

I think you should swap the basic router with the wifi router and see if that fixes the problem. I have a setup like yours but mine is the wifi router first then the basic router.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    bill222 if you connect the 2nd router up as a switch and remove dhcp then it will work - hence my questions on how it was connected -

I have two wireless routers connected together with a USB port on a sharedrive and LAN connection and they share - also they share the media from the USB port on the router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
    From a John Will Post :)

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

8. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Hello etaf,

About the ports, I have not done anything to them, neither have I forwarded any.
    Hmm, I guess I have set a DHCP up on TP-Link. The source of its WAN is the #3 plug of D-Link lan.
    For the ports as ‘slots’,
    - Comtrend:
    o Phone line – to dial ADSL
    o Ethernet – to connect it to D-Link
    - D-Link:
    o Port 1 – from Comtrend
    o Port 3 – cable to my TP Link
    o Port 5 – cable to PC A
    - TP-Link:
    o WAN – from D-Link
    o Port 1 – to my PC
    Hello bill222,
    1.) Thank you for telling me that my Ms.Paint drawing is nice :D
    2.) Yes, there is. I am willing to modify the TP-Link Router (disabling the internet shared by TP-link’s wifi) without disturbing PC A. (Well, there is another reason why am I doing this (I have shared the Wi-Fi and I don’t have the heart to change the password. Willing to disable the connection interruption when playing games).
    3.) Talking about PPPoE and Bridge mode, I am sorry to tell you that the Comtrend CT-5071 will encounter a problem (which makes the internet no longer working for both computers) if it dials and signs in.

So do I, I would also like to know how to manage this connection :S

Hello ncrdisabled,

Thank you for replying. Otherwise, I would also have done that, if I do not have this specific reason:
    Honestly, the one who uses PC A is my roommate (yes, I live in a dorm)

Hello etaf,

Thank you for the reply as well as the guide. I will try this and tell you how it is done.
    Regarding your guide posted, I would like to inform you, will my TP-LINK get an internet (since the Comtrend CT-5071 will encounter a problem when dialing PPPoE)?
    PC A is connecting with his own ID and Password from his computer and I am currently having the internet dialed by TP-Link, with the WAN port connected.

Thank you and have a nice day for all of you!

9. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Update on 2013-02-26 on 10.20 AM (GMT +8.00):

etaf, I have tried the guide you posted,
    And it is not working. I have turned the DHCP server on TP-Link off as well as moved the cable from WAN to port 3 of TP-Link.

May this helps.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK - ignore what I have written - i should have looked up the models
    since you have a switch des-1005d and not a router
    and the comtrend is a router- not just a modem
    http://download.comtrend.com/CT-5071.pdf

so stop now and lets reconfigure it all - you should do a powercycle each time a change is made

comtrend user manual http://download.comtrend.com/CT-5071.pdf

first connect a PC to the comtrend and post an ipconfig /all
    next
    log into the comtrend router and lets see what dhcp range you have set and if its bridged or being used as an adsl modem and router
    page 20

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

This should work for all windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

then type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

11. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Hello etaf,

Thank you for the guide posted. Otherwise, so sorry that this reply does not contain any information about the result of the suggested steps.
    Hence, I would like to apology that I am not doing this now since the connection is being used by my roommate. I will try this tomorrow and I will reply to this thread with the result.

Have a nice day!

12. Winzz

Winzz Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Noted, since 2013-02-27, I mark this thread as solved. In fact, yes it is.
    I got a problem with my TP-Link router that cell phones were no longer able to connect. Therefore, I restored back to the factory setting and I noticed that My Computer is able to communicate with Comtrend as well as PC "A", but there was no internet connection.

I opened the Router's web utility and I found out that the WAN connection method was set to "Dynamic IP", not "PPPoE / Russia PPPoE". So then, I changed it to [PPPoE / Russia PPPoE] and re-type my information there. Then, on the secondary connection method, I chose "Dynamic IP" and now everything works as I intended.

I would like to thank to everyone for willing to share their time to help me as well as sharing their knowledge.

Again, I thank to all of you, guys. You are the bests!

Have a nice day! :)

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) glad it worked out

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice