Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: LAN trouble - network ignores my computer

917 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Todd, and I'm a college student living on campus with a bit of a network problem.

Let me explain some things that focus on the problem I'm having. My college has network policies for any laptop or computer being used in the dorms. They have a system set up to "validate" your MAC address after a series of tasks (i.e. installing their version of McAfee VirusScan, updating your OS with patches and updates, etc.) all to ensure security.

I had my computer validated through their policy system. If any computer is not validated then it redirects the user to the registration page, disallowing any unvalidated computer from accessing any other website or URL.

My computer's been running fine since the first day, but just last night I lost the connection. Let me explain why. I brought another laptop from home (my Fujitsu S7010) and tried to get it registered and validated on the network. I used the ethernet connection in my room and when I expected it to redirect me to the registration page, it didn't. It was just stuck on "Acquiring Network Address" and didn't connect.

I gave up and tried my original working laptop, but that didn't work. For some reason, the network is "ignoring" any connection through my ethernet jack. I tried other ethernet jacks with my working laptop and it connects fine.

It seems like now whenever I try to use the ethernet jack in my room, I can't connect. Is there a way around this or a client-side method to fix this? I don't know of anyone in my dorm or on campus who would be able to reset my ethernet jack or reset my network permissions, much less anyone who would know of someone who could do such a task.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

--Todd

See less See more
#3 ·
I got it resolved finally. The registration page for computers on campus was down but it came back up a couple of hours ago. I registered my computer and was able to connect again.

There were IT people on campus but they work very odd hours, like only 1 or 2 hours per day and usually just install/uninstall software and leave you hanging. Fortunately, I didn't need to see them since my net's back up again.

Thanks for your help! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.