1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: LAN will not connect computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crpowell, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

I have two desktop AMD computers and Linksys router. Both computers connect fine to internet. I want the computers to file share. Used the XP Pro setup wizard to set up LAN but they will not connect. Host machine has set up in Network Places\MS Windows Network\MSHome\Second(Cliff). "Second(Cliff)" is name/etc second machine. When I try to connect get error message "\\Cliff is not accessable. No permission to use network resources. Network path not found. Have gone through every procedure and read all I can but no solution yet. Am administrator on both machines.

:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a 3rd party firewall it needs to be uninstalled or properly configured for LAN access. The following may help you gather more information.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost? If all packets lost, it's probably because a firewall is doing its job.

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

3. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

Firewall is connected and is default XP Pro. Both computers have identical IP address to connect to internet. Both machines connected using IP address - all packets received and no loss. Second machine connects no packet loss on ping to name of host machine. Host machine times out and eventually gets all packets lost on ping to name of second machine.
    Run - \\IPofOther from host = error "No network provider accepted the given network path."
    Second machine using \\IPofOther - error "no network path found".

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Both computers have identical IP address to connect to internet."

They have to have unique IP addresses on a LAN. You should be seeing "duplicate IP address" errors.

At first I assumed that you had both computers getting internet access through the router; but now I realize that you are talking "host" and "second" computer. Please describe your network.

5. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

That is correct - two computers and LinkSys router connected both to internet with no problem. According to Linksys I can also use the configuration to share files and printer. Here is their response to my question of how.

Windows XP
    To setup a network in Windows XP, you'll need to run the networking wizard in Windows XP you can access it by going to:
    Start> Control Panel> Network Connections (If you do not see “Network Connections” click on the Switch to Classic View option on the left hand side of Control Panel).
    On the left side you'll see "Network Tasks"
    Click on the option for Setup a Home or Small Office Network
    This will bring you to a wizard.
    Select the option for Connecting to Residential Gateway (That's the router).
    Once the wizard is finished you'll have to make a floppy disk that you'll take around to the other computers to set them up. After you set them all up, shut down all the computers, and then start them up and you should be able to share files.

I have followed these instructions without the desired results. Thanks for your help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you still saying "Both computers have identical IP address"?

And no 3rd party firewall?

7. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need to fix the IP address problem first. If both are obtaining their addresses dynamically it's probably a router problem. Check for a firmware update first. Second thing to try is to reset it to factory default settings and then reconfigure it.

If either or both computers have static IP, then it's your error, and easily fixable.

9. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

Something has happened - Both machines now set up with all the requisite network indicators and I can network from number two to the host, files, printers but the Host still says no pathway to second machine. Also something I have done has changed the OFF and BOOT indicators - Different boxes but with same information except that boot now has place for password but I can start without putting one in (any recommneds here). The IP is dynamic so I can't change it. Will follow your directions and see what happens. Thanks again.

I did a firmware update. Did not know the version number of the router - just model number. No change but I do note that the second computer which I cannot connect to has a different IP - the Host is 192.168.1.1 (default for router) and the second computer is 192.168.1.101

10. Jrru2

Jrru2

First off, I wouldn't use either computer as host. They should both be connecting to each other and to the internet through the router - neither computer should be connecting to the internet through the other.

With this setup, the router's IP(LAN) would be 192.168.1.1 - the default gateway. Then one of your computer's IPs(LAN) would be 192.168.1.101, and the other 192.168.1.102.

Provided that both computers have a name on the network, are both in the same workgroup, and are both running Windows XP, they should be ready to connect to each other to share.

However, and this is important, you need to shut off not only third-party firewalls, but also the built-in Windows firewall. It has to be off for this to work.

11. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

One IP is set at 192.168.1.100 and the other at 192.168.1.101 so are these different IP numbers? I don't know where to change them to something else. Got a new variation on one machine when it tried to connect to second - box that said connecting to #2 with name\guest greyed out. Could not go anywhere with it. I do not know difference re Host was just using that name in place of number one computer. Still getting message that they can't find the path. Would it help to DELETE all so far and start again and if so How and where or would a restore point be the thing to do? Appreciate all the help but I'm getting frustrated with this thing I thought would be a "wizard" to accomplish.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You DO have different IP #s on the computers. Good! :)

Just to have a new starting place, how about running through the setup again. It shouldn't take many minutes. The following works for me.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

13. crpowell

crpowell Thread Starter

SUCCESS: It was simple and I was Simple - I was not selecting enable file and printer sharing. Somewhere along the line I had read (incorrectly) that I should not enable as it would be available to outsiders on internet. After selecting it all is connecting now.
    My great appreciation to all of you who have helped. I learned a lot!

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I had read (incorrectly) that I should not enable as it would be available to outsiders on internet."

The warning is correct if the computer is not behind the NAT firewall that a router provides. Remember it when someday you have a laptop and connect it to a public hotspot at a motel or restaurant or library. :)

Glad you're up and working now.

You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice