1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Battery/Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CuteKiwi13, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CuteKiwi13

CuteKiwi13 Thread Starter

Hi there!

I have an Asus laptop running Windows 7 that is about 4 years old. Recently it stopped charging and would just die. Tried a bunch of things (using a different charger/ using a different battery from the exact same brand/series of laptop etc) to no avail. I took it to a guy to fix and it turned out to be the motherboard - which had to be replaced (ouch :( ).
    Anyway, while this did fix the initial problem it unfortunately caused another.

My laptop thinks it is constantly plugged in and charging even though it is running on battery and losing charge. Because of this issue, I no longer get the notifications that my battery is low and it has caught me out!
    I spoke to the guy who fixed my laptop to begin with and he has no idea why it is doing this, and also informed me that it's not great for the laptop either (which I was worried about).

I have played around with the battery options/notifications in settings but this does not help at all. I use my laptop a lot for full screen things (gaming, movies etc) so I'm unable to keep an eye on the battery level.

I'd rather avoid having to pay out again, so does anyone know of perhaps a software program that I can download that would create a pop up on the screen when the battery reaches low levels? The Windows 7 one was great for that as it would pop up over whatever you had playing in full screen.

I've searched google and forums and I'm running out of ideas. I've checked some of the threads here but no one else seems to have this issue. Surely it's happened to someone before!

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. donetao

donetao Banned

3. CuteKiwi13

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If he replaced the motherboard the replacement had this fault and should not have been used. You should demand he fixes it properly.

5. CuteKiwi13

Really?? He said he had a lot of trouble getting this one and that there weren't many left.
    Do you think there's a way around it? Like a program or something?

I really just want to avoid spending more money...

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes really. He's fitted a faulty motherboard. After a proper repair the laptop should work perfectly and it doesn't.

Does it work with the battery removed and just powered with the charger ?

EDIT : software won't help this is a hardware problem.

7. CuteKiwi13

Yup it does work when I do that.
    Oh no I understand that it is a hardware problem. I was just hoping for a work around instead. If I could download a software program that would notify me of low battery instead of relying on the original notification. Because it does work perfectly apart from this :)

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok I use this battery 'gadget' in Windows 7, it may work for you if you select the 'do not use windows ...' setting.
    The website I got it from is down for maintenance so I've attached the file below. Just unzip it and right-click the BatteryMonitor.gadget file then click Open to install it. It probably won't be visible with full screen apps though.

View attachment BatteryMonitor.zip

9. CuteKiwi13

Great! I'll give it a test run and report back here later.
    Thank you :)

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. I hope it works. I'm logging off now but I will check back later.

11. CuteKiwi13

Ok thanks! So it downloaded fine. Had it going. My laptop finished charging so I switched it off at the wall and the gadget disappeared haha. I can't even access the sidebar, let alone other gadgets. Any other ideas? :)

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Not right now. I'll think about it. I'll be back in about 16 hours. Someone else might come up with something in the meantime.

13. trogdo

trogdo

Do you have windows sounds enabled? There's critical battery alarm and low battery alarm, not sure if they will cut through a full screen application though.

BATExpert is a decent program for monitoring your battery, give it a try, see if it reads the battery correctly. If it doesn't, there is a fault with the motherboard or the battery.

14. CuteKiwi13

Yup I do, but they are hard to hear when you're immersed in a game or movie.
    Ok I'll give that a go!
    Thanks for the reply :)

EDIT: The program you recommended is reading my battery as being at 0% but it's currently plugged in and charging and at 66%. Does this mean there is a fault??

15. CuteKiwi13

I'm currently running it now without the battery and there's no problem so far. The power icon says no battery detected so at least that's working well haha. I think the guy that replaced the motherboard said it had a 4 month warranty or something like that. Is it worth mentioning finding another replacement to him? Or is it the battery that I need?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice