1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop battery draining while on A/C???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by new tech guy, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. new tech guy

new tech guy Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a question about a little problem im having with my laptop. It is that somtimes when i am on A/C power, the computer will stop charging my battery when not full and drain it down without re charging it. I know this sounds strange but it would happen. For instance i could be off of A/C for a while doing somthing where the pc is running on battery and the system would run fine. Then i would reconnect and the system appears normal, it would start charging up. Then without warning, the system will stop charging. It does recognize A/C power flowing to it as the light for A/C connection is lit but the amber lamp indicating the charging battery would go out. In windows it would say it is fully charged on the sidebar utility and if i hover the battery icon it would say that the computer is plugged in but not charging. This would typically happen after running it by entering and resuming from hibernate for a while. The strange part is that if the pc is off or not in windows it would charge up fine. Usually that is how i need to let it charge again as a reboot would set things straight. Also i beleive when i put it in standby it starts the problem as well but i am not sure. I would like to know whether it is windows acting up on my pc or if my battery is just going south. I have attacked the problem from software by doing things like running sfc /scannow, resetting the bios to factory config (via an option in setup), I have tried running the system down while it was in a draining fit where the system died from a dead battery but the problem persisted. Only real help was when i ran sfc /scannow where it became less of a problem and now instead of having to do a reboot and reconnect a/c i just reinsert the ac. Im not sure how else to describe my problem but here are my system specs:
    Toshiba Satalite S9092
    1GB ram
    Ati mobility radeon x600se
    100Gb hitachi hard drive
    2GhZ intel centrino processor.
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    System is fully patched and up to date. What should i do next? All help is appreciated.

2. gurutech

gurutech

Have you checked the power settings in Vista?

3. new tech guy

What settings should i check? I usually run the pc on high performance when plugged in to a/c and run it on power saver when on battery power. I have this utility set up called vista power saver which does that automatically for me and does other things to save power. However, it cannot be that as i installed it after the issue started in hopes it would possibly upgrade the acpi management in vista. I also did perform a reinstall of the acpi drivers in vista in hopes it would help to no avail.

4. gurutech

gurutech

Could be the battery or AC adapter. If you have a volt-meter, check the output voltage of the AC adapter. It should be close to what it's rated for (printed on the "brick" part.) If it's off by more than a couple tenth's, then you probably have a bad adapter. Same for the battery, it should have a + and - listed on/near the contacts where it connects to the laptop.

5. new tech guy

Ok thanks guru for the help so far, turns out i dont have a voltmeter, checked but all we have is a light outlet reader which basically picks up under a minimum of 110volts where the battery runs on a mere 14.8volts. Its full so i guess i could try connecting it and seeing if i get a reading. I was also wondering as a way to completely rule out software whether i should attempt a reinstall of vista and see if the problem goes with the wipe. I would zero out the drive with active @ killdisk, format, then installl windows. I personally suspect (and hope,) its software. I have ATI 10 so i could image before hand and just restore if it does not work out.If it does not then ive completely ruled out the software end of it.

6. new tech guy

If it is a voltage issue would another simple test to be to try turning off a peice of hardware on the pc to see if the battery resumes charging? I thought of this as i do have a hardware switch on my pc for the wireless networking card (which is usually on all of the time) if it acts up again could i test the voltage theory by turning off the card and see if the battery resumes charging?

7. new tech guy

Also, about the standby statement in my original post, i also found that if i put the computer to sleep when the system acts up by closing the lid then reinsert a/c it runs fine in terms of charging sleeping and not sleeping.

8. new tech guy

Ok i did not exactly find a voltmeter but i found an electrical testing tool my dad had in the garage and i tested my ac adapter output with that. It was an older analog gauge merely going up to around 18 volts. It was really meant for cars but it gave us a pretty good idea. When the adapter was connected to it the gauge pegged. Therefore i think it is safe to rule out the A/C adapter. We have ruled it down to either the battery pack (could not be tested because the port had alot of holesand we were not sure which was + or -. We did not try setting up the tool as we didnt want to damage the battery or risk an explosion. To that end we found a new pack online at amazon. Right now i am going to rule out the operating system by wiping the drive with killdisk and installing clean windows. I am going to image the drive beforehand so if there if the problem persists i can just restore the drive back. Well i will post back with new information.

9. new tech guy

Ok, update, battery is doing it again. Definitely battery. Thanks for all help and i will now mark this thread solved. :).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/660060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice