1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Battery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mattytun, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Hi over the last few weeks when i plug my laptop in to charge it says (plugged in not charging) then i have to take the battery out and it works ok any reason for this...laptop is only 9 month old.:confused:

DELL XPS L502X

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Well we could carry out some checks but the real and only proper course of action is
    refer it to the supplier ASAP
    it is absolutely no use doing anything else
    If it is a developing fault either on the battery itself, which is not just a battery but also includes various monitoring components, or a developing defect on a connection -

the best course is - register the problem NOW

That advice is confirmed I now know
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/xps/f/3681/p/19477018/20233192.aspx

one may suspect a problem - on that model as the web is littered with similar reports

3. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Hi thanks i got the laptop from DELL website.

4. Macboatmaster

Well in that case I think you should follow the advice given in that link I supllied

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/zEE2Cm

Click here for Warranty terms & conditions.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I often get the same message on my Dell and HP laptops. Then it starts charging after a period of a few seconds to five minutes.

You always get the message and charging never begins?

6. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Thanks good people ill let you no how i get on.(y)

7. Macboatmaster

Thanks for replying
    Please do let us know.

8. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Hi just been on phone to Dell & the girl said re-boot the laptop & press F2 key then look at botom of screen look for AC Adapter type i told her it said None she said it could be the charger or motherboard so shes going to send me a new charger.

9. Macboatmaster

Yes same procedure as on the link I sent you
    I have never dealt with Dell, but from what I read other people have had this problem on that model and it turned out to be the motherboard

Please do not think I am being in any way insulting to you but I would ensure you keep good records of all telephone calls, what was said and who you spoke to

10. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Ok thanks will do (y)..........................ill keep you updated........PS............if it is motherboard is that a big job will it have to be sent away to dell..

11. Macboatmaster

Well in respect of the question re the motherboard I do not know what the service arrnagements are, but it is a fair sized job. I would suspect it is indeed going back to dell
    There is one point that crossed my mind
    UNLIKELY but possible
    Is the AC supply connected to a anti surge bar, if so connect direct to supply
    Very occasionally the anti surge bar causes problems

12. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

Funny you say that i do have a anti-surge bar with other plugs plugged in TV/ speakers/phone charger/ but the laptop AC A dapter is not..........

13. Macboatmaster

OK occasionally and it is very occasionally I have only come across it myself twice the anti-surge bar can develop a fault whereby it fails to pass the correct voltage
    eg in the UK instead of allowing the 240V which in practice is normally about 238 it only allows say 210 or something like so the AC adaptor whatever the tolerance on that then fails to deliver the correct 20V or whatever it is output.

As I said very rare but it can happen.

That said most AC adpaters for laptops have a wide tolerance on input supply voltage

14. mattytun

mattytun Thread Starter

15. Macboatmaster

Very nice picture but I did not doubt what you said
    Good luck with it
    Please do let us know - hope Dell sort it for you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice