Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: laptop black screen won't start with F

853 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi I have a compaq laptop running windows 7. I've had it for 4 months. Once in a while it would freeze and start back up with start up repair, but then it was fine. I have microsoft security free. Now it won't start up. It stays in the black screen. I've tried F8 F12 and F2 but still won't start. I've tried hooking a external monitor with no luck. The fan comes on and the caps light comes on, the wifi light is yellow but other than that it is just black. Plz help. Idk what to do, it's my son's laptop and he needs it for school. I've tried searching some posts before I started my new thread but couldn't find anything related to mine. I did find some that said to try the function keys but mine won't even do that. It seems like it's in sleep mode but it isn't, maybe it is but It won't turn on so I can diagnose it. I would appreciate any help.

#2 ·
1. This it would appear was the indication of the problem in the first place
Once in a while it would freeze and start back up with start up repair, but then it was fine.
2. If this
Hi I have a compaq laptop running windows 7. I've had it for 4 months
means it is ONLY FOUR MONTHS old, rather than a computer which is older, but you have had for four months, then my best advice is to return it to the supplier, or at least make contact with them for diagnosis of the fault and repair - hopefully under warrantry

3. That suggestion is not simply me taking the easy option, it is most honestly your best course of action.
The more you try to solve this, and the longer you wait, if it is only four months old, the less the chance of success of the claim.

4. The ONLY thing I would try and I do NOT really expect it to succeed, is to shut down, remove battery, disconnect power and hold down power button for a full 20 seconds.
Then connect power only and try again.

#3 ·
omg I took the batt out like you said and it turned on. Can you tell me why that would work? Should I put the battery back in now?

1. This it would appear was the indication of the problem in the first place

2. If this

means it is ONLY FOUR MONTHS old, rather than a computer which is older, but you have had for four months, then my best advice is to return it to the supplier, or at least make contact with them for diagnosis of the fault and repair - hopefully under warrantry

3. That suggestion is not simply me taking the easy option, it is most honestly your best course of action.
The more you try to solve this, and the longer you wait, if it is only four months old, the less the chance of success of the claim.

4. The ONLY thing I would try and I do NOT really expect it to succeed, is to shut down, remove battery, disconnect power and hold down power button for a full 20 seconds.
Then connect power only and try again.

#4 ·
well I bought it used, it's 4 yrs old. I tried to search why it was going to the start up repair and couldn't really find anything signifigant. My sister said her computer does that too. Both our laptops have a game called minecraft installed in them cuz our son's are minecraft freaks. I think that's when it started doing the start up repair thing. This website you got here is awesome! I'm going to make a donation. Thanks again! I'm going to keep an eye on it from now and update you.;)

omg I took the batt out like you said and it turned on. Can you tell me why that would work? Should I put the battery back in now?

#6 ·
By removing all power and holding down the power button, you reset the laptop.

It could be one of two issues.

1. There is a slight chance it is a faulty battery, the way to test that is to see if it will accept the charge and run on battery only

2. The reset cleared the error and you now need to find what caused it.

3. Start with the suggestion on post 5

#8 ·
dai
Re this

the hard drive comes up clear and a monitor gets nothing,you may have lost the video chip
Did you by any chance miss this -
Easy done

#10 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.