1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop BSOD think wireless croaked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catlady13, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice.
    I am trying to fix a laptop for my brother's neighbour who is speech and hearing impaired and mentally ill and survives on a very small pension. I don't usually do laptops but I am doing the best I can for her.
    It is a Compa Evo n610c.
    First it would not boot at all , said it was missing a file. I did a repair installation of windows XP pro. It finally then booted. It would then BSOD very shortly after. It was not online nor had been since I was working on it. I removed the AVG 9 since it seemed to be causing problems by going into safe mode. It did not BSOD in safe mode.
    It seems that one can turn off the wireless and if I do that and do not put in the wireless drivers it works fine thus far leading me to believe that the wireless card on the motherboard (or wherever) it is is toast. The chipset drivers and all other drivers seem fine. Is this possible? It seems to work then.
    My other question if it is now stable with the wireless turned off (Fn + F2) and no drivers loaded for it is it possible to put in a wireless card? If you look at the site for it it seems to have a card slot that says it is for card I and card II 16 bit or 32 Bit. I am not very familiar with laptop cards so could someone please advise what to purchase. I am going to purchase this for her myself and first don't want to screw the laptop up and second don't want to spend more on something that isn't what I need.
    thank you so much.
    Linda
    PS After I removed the AVG I formatted it thinking that would help. I deleted the partition and formatted and reinstalled windows XP pro SP2

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes that slot goes by a few names

pcmcia

cardbus

yes they make wireless cardbus adapters, also they make usb wireless adapters, they do not work as well (distance) as the built in one due to the size of the antenna.

Here is a good cardbus type II wireless adapter, good price and low shipping costs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...reless_adapter_cardbus-_-33-156-140-_-Product

After you get the card, you can download the latest driver for it here
    http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?TYPE_ID=24&SUBTYPE_ID=706

3. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Thank you so very much. I am in Canada so newegg.com is not available. I do have an NCIX in town here though so now I know what I need to buy I am going up and having a chat with the guys up there so I don't have to wait. This poor lady relies on having a computer to communicate and whoever sold her this monstrosity should be shot. I've been reading online about the wireless problems with it and I would bet the person selling it to her knew about this and didn't tell her. I really really appreciate your help.
    thanks so much
    linda

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice