1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Choices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LANMaster, Feb 8, 2007.

?

Which is best for our work environment?

1. The Dell

50.0%
  2. The Aurora

33.3%
  3. Other

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

We're about to upgrade to dockable wireless laptops here at work.

The key programs we will be using are high intensity 3-D rendering, graphics, and CAD software.

We're looking at 2 options, and I'd like to get your opinion on which you think will be a better choice.

1. Dell XPS M1710 - LOADED

2. Alienware - AURORA m9700 - LOADED

They're both gaming platforms because we have found they're much faster for 3-D rendering.

Please take the poll and offer some reasons why one may be better than another for our application.

Feel free to suggest a 3rd option if you like.

Thanks,

Mike

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Without looking at the second option, I'd go with Dell ;)

3. LANMaster

4. LANMaster

The Alienware seems to get awesome reviews. And yes, I trust Dell.

Money is no object (well almost no object) We want to get the best for our application.

Also, it MUST be a PC and not a Mac. We already have top of the line Macs. These PC's will run industry specific software which is not available for the Mac.

At the same time, know that we'll be designing graphics and rendering complex 4-D using Strata, Cinema 3-D, Photoshop, Illustrator, Etc.
    Must be equipped for open GL.

5. YoRone22

YoRone22

I'd have to go with the Dell. The Alienware has an AMD Turion CPU that is waay less powerful than the Dell's Core 2 Duo. I would also suggest getting the optional graphics card on the Dell. From what I've heard the GTX is better than the GS. You said that money isn't the biggest problem, so I really would suggest the Dell with the T7600 and the 7950 GTX Graphics Card. Just my two sense though.

6. LANMaster

I'm seriously leaning toward the alienware

[​IMG]

The above picture is a rendering, not a photograph. This is the kind of rendering work that I will be doing from scratch. I'm leaning toward a gaming system because of the intense graphic detail.

7. LANMaster

Great suiggestions. Thanks!

8. LANMaster

I'm really having a tough time choosing.

9. ~Candy~

Because I said so? :rolleyes:

:p

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

It comes down to price LAN. I said "Dell" because I think you get more for you money. Alienware's probably better quality (although I'm not sure) but I think they are overpriced. The other thing to consider is, if you have a problem (and you almost always do with Laptops if you use them a lot), its a lot easier to find Dell replacement parts on E-bay a lot cheaper. Laptops aren't like desktops where parts are interchangeable. If you have a problem with a Dell MOBO, you have to buy another DELL MOBO. I had a Dell Mobo problem and boought another one used pretty cheap on E-bay.

Why a laptop for intense graphics? Does it have to mobile?

11. wacor

wacor Banned

That is funny.

Reminds me of an oft repeated comment from John L. Smith when he coached the Michigan State Football team. He was asked a question and that was his terse response. I wish I could find it on tape.

By the way he got fired recently. :p :p :D :D

12. Ciberblade

Ciberblade Retired Moderator

The Dell XPS is the clear choice....I've used this system personally...but here are the tech reasons why:

The processor on the XPS will be more compatible with 32 bit games (the Turion is a good processor -- but for what you want it to do, the 64 bit may hinder you some) Also, along those lines -- the Alienware only has 1Mb of level 2 cache, though...it does have a higher bus speed (800Mhz over the XPS's 667Mhz) Even still, the XPS will provide greater performance because of its 4Mb of level 2 cache.

Don't know what you are looking at for memory, they are comparable -- but I wouldn't go with anything less than 1Gb (and would suggest starting with 2Gb). The Dell will allow you to utilize a full 4Gb of mem while Alienware will only utilize 2Gb

The video cards are the same...however, the LCD panels on the Alienware's clearview does not perform as high as the ultrasharp in a side by side viewing (though the difference is minimal, and would not be enough to tip the decision one way or the other)

The XPS also has port replication and docking station options available ;)

Now for the big one -- the part that (for me) makes the choice non-existent. The support. Go with the Dell Gold support, sure you spend a couple hundred dollars more....but it really is a deal! These people will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied (I can give many, many examples) -- and it's all no questions asked...they just do it...whatever you want...say you've had trouble and want a larger hard drive for your inconvenience? Their response will be to give you the larger hard drive, and extend your warranty.

All in all, Dell is the superior machine. Alienware is not a bad machine -- but compared to the XPS, just doesn't rise to the level of performance you are looking for...also, the name hype tends to take it further than it really should.

CB :cool:

13. LANMaster

Well ..... there you go, right there. :D

14. LANMaster

Yes. We want the ability to take our laptops thoughout the building and conference rooms to show customers, and bring out to the machines, while still remaining connected to our LAN.

Thanks for your input. (y)

15. ~Candy~

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice