1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop connected but says "No Internet Access"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by urghh1, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urghh1

urghh1 Thread Starter

Everything worked fine until I went to move my desk to a different area and had to unplug everything. Upon plugging everything back up - my desktop internet works fine, but the laptop says "Connected but no internet access". I've tried working on it for 2 hours unplugging and replugging cords back up and I can't get any internet access on my laptop.

I am using a cable modem. Currently I have the blue ethernet cord running from the modem, directly into my computer. I also have a grey cord that apparently was plugged into the router somehow but I don't remember how exactly I had this one plugged up. The cable modem only has one jack, for "ethernet". The router is a Linksys WRT54G and has 4 numbered (1-4) jacks in the back and then one jack for "internet".

The laptop is running Windows 7, and the desktop (which the internet runs fine on right now) is running Vista.

I'd greatly appreciate any help with the laptop internet, as I really need the laptop for school.

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi urghh1, and welcome to TSG,

Try ...

1) Turning off the modem and the router for a few minutes

2) Connect one Ethernet cable between the Ethernet Port on the modem and the Internet Port on the router

3) Connect a second Ethernet cable between any one of the four LAN Ports on the router and the Ethernet Port on the desktop computer.

4) Turn on the router and then the modem.

5) Check if the desktop computer has a working Internet connection

6) Check if the laptop is connected to the router and you have a working Internet connection as well.

3. urghh1

urghh1 Thread Starter

WOW, thank you so much - this worked. :) :) :) :)

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice