1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Cooling Options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pineapplethis, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pineapplethis

Pineapplethis Thread Starter

Hello, this is my first post to these forums and trying to get some information on the best way or the choices I should try first for cooling down my laptop. I've always known it to be a bit hot (when playing video games) but when I did a check I realized it reached astonishing temperatures and some say I'm lucky the computer still works. The thing is my computer has been fine this whole time, I only came upon this issue when I thought my performance and FPS was dropping recently, but before that the laptop was always just as hot and working perfectly fine.

So some options I've learned of to lower the temperature of my laptop Graphics card/processors or the whole thing are:

• Getting a new fan or heatsink installed as this computer was a fairly cheap HP (~$500). The thing with this is I couldn't do it so I'd have to take it somewhere or send it which I'm not super comfortable doing.
    • Download some software programs that can be used to regulate the speed of my fan or the power being put out by the graphics card to reduce the incoming heat.
    • Use a technique called undervolting to reduce the power my computer uses which would in turn reduce the temperatures.
    • Buy a cooling pad/fan that I put the laptop on. Looking into this one: http://tinyurl.com/23fusxz
    These are the options I've researched a little so far. I am hoping someone can shed some light on these and help give me some direction as to where I should start first.

Thanks so much, and let me know if more information would be helpful.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The cooling pad is really the only viable option. They don't make after market coolers for OEM laptops, undervolting may result in stability issues and may not be possible(the HP BIOS definitely does not allow this), a fan control program may or may not work - being an HP laptop means support may not exist for it.

Also being an HP laptop, they had serious overheating issues in previous Pavilion DV series, you may want to look into and update the BIOS to the latest version. Many HP laptops including those unaffected have BIOS updates to improve the fan control and the BIOS update release notes don't always list all the changes or only list the last change from HP.

3. Pineapplethis

In response to updating. Should I update from the manufacturer's website directly for both my NVIDIA and Phoenix BIOS. HP has a list of updates and drivers to upgrade but I have all those, and when going to the NVIDIA website they mention that updating to their newest upgrade could mean that I lose support from my OEM. And they do have a newer version that I could upgrade to.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    HP is the only one who provides BIOS updates for their laptops, you can only do it from the HP site. Phoenix only provides the physical chip and base code. NVidia is the chipset/graphics maker, they would have drivers for the motherboard and graphics, you can update those if you wish, you can also go back to HP provided drivers if you wish. The only support you'd lose is any HP customization.

5. Pineapplethis

Thanks for the responses, I made a new post looking for recommendations on fans/cooling pads. So i'll mark this solved.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice