1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop CPU Damaged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DexterDave, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

Good Day

On Friday afternoon I was working on my laptop when the RAM (8GB DDR3) was too overloaded (I had alot of programs running) and the Laptop hanged, as it sometimes does.

Now since I was in a hurry I just shut the laptop down at the power button and put it in my bag. When i got home, I noticed that the laptop was still running when I took it out of the bag (could hear the fan) and it was running quite hot, so it was probably in sleep mode since the lid was closed.

Now my PC is slower than it should be and I wonder if my CPU didn't overheat or some components weren't damaged.

How can I test if my CPU is damaged, or any of the other component for that matter? Problem is that my laptop is slower than normal, even though it is not running at abnormal temperatures...

Thank you

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

there are several utilities out there to test things,and you can follow this link for details on the event viewer and system resource monitor: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...h-the-windows-7-system-diagnostic-report/4313 .
    on a laptop, the hard drive can become damaged easily if it is running when you move it around. having said this, i have done it with my laptop with no obvious damage, it's an easy mistake to make. i would check the event viewer first, and then open a command prompt (windows key and letter r, then type cmd into run box) and enter sfc /scannow , then hit enter and wait. if there are any files corrupted, this will help. and after that, enter chkdsk /r. it will ask to scedule a check on reboot, hit y, then restart. i wouldn't think that the cpu was damaged, more likely the hard drive. but do a search on diagnostics for the cpu just in case, i don't remember any right now in windows.

3. Simba7

Simba7

I would check it for viruses and malware. It probably isn't your CPU or your computer wouldn't be running at all.

You might also want to check the health status of your hard drive. They tend to dislike heat. I had a hard drive die on me awhile ago when it turned on in my backpack. It practically baked the drive and I couldn't recover anything without paying a ridiculous price.

I would suggest backing up everything immediately in case the drive decides to die on you.

4. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

thank you kanaitpro and simba 7. Good answers. I will check all those things. I'm relived that it is not my CPU. However, I have another PC and it is running at abnormally high temps constantly and it is VERY slow. It is a proper DELL laptop and the hardware specs is not the problem...Are the above causes you named likely the same as for this scenario?

5. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

as simba7 stated, the main thing to watch out for with heat is the hard drive in a laptop. when the cpu overheats, it stops working at all. usually when you have a slow computer it is malware. or too many things running in the background. when you right click on the taskbar and select task manager, you can choose the tab that says processes and see how many you have running. there is also a button that says resource monitor somewhere that you can use to see what is going on. you can use msconfig from the run box to turn off processes that start when you turn on your computer, but be careful, you can turn off things that you want to have on. bing it before you turn them off if you're not sure. use the same commands i posted in the other response first, but i would lean toward malware. go to security.live.com and run the ms scanner then download malwarebytes and run that also.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice