1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop cpu upgrade help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davies79, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davies79

Davies79 Thread Starter

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my cpu from 1.9 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz and need a little help with choosing one. An upgrade online suggested Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 .... would this be compatible with my laptop? and if I upgrade would i have any overheating issues? Sorry i know a little about this stuff but not experienced. Any help would be great.
    My specs are attached.
    Thank you.
    :)

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to learn a bit more about processors and not assume the GHz rating alone is what makes a processor faster.

Your Dell Inspiron 5521 laptop has an Intel Core i3-3227U 1.90 GHz processor which has a benchmark score of 2476.

The Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz processor that someone suggested to you has a benchmark score of 1556.

On top of the fact that what you want to do isn't possible, your laptop already has a much faster processor.

The only hardware upgrade option for the vast majority of laptops is adding more RAM.

Your laptop supports up to 16 GB of RAM, so you definitely have that option.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. Davies79

Davies79 Thread Starter

ah ok ... so the upgrade suggested was useless then lol ... thanks for clearing that up for me. :) I was hoping to be able to run world of warcraft on this just on minimum reccomendations for my son and its says that i need an upgrade in that area. Is that not the case?
    Thanks.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're stuck with the Intel processor and Intel graphics device in that laptop, but you can add more RAM.

That's not a gaming laptop, so I don't know if adding more RAM will help or is worth the expense.

I'm not a gamer or a hardware expert, so my input here is limited.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Davies79

Davies79 Thread Starter

ok thanks for all your help ... very much appreciated. :)

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It seems like the Cpu in that model laptop isn't in a socket, it's soldered to the motherboard, so it can't be changed easily any way.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice