Solved: laptop crash now frozen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dazzyjai

Two computers on a home network, laptop has frozen. Cannot get past request for password. First I had a problem because IE would not load normally (all I had was wallpaper with no task bar or icons) and I had to use Windows Task Manager to access the computer. I followed an online suggestion to use regedit and to type "explorer.exe" in the Winlogon folder after deleting everything else shown. (I did a System Restore first which did nothing and then a Restore point before deleting). Then I tried restarting the laptop but it asked me for a password for each user account. We have never used a password at all. I logged in Safe Mode and entered Administrator which does not need a password and it started to load then logged off and changed user account. I could not get access. I tried to enter Safe Mode with command prompt but it would not let me, just asked for a password. I tried previous good configuration or whatever it is called but it did nothing. I have obviously stuffed it up by deleting what I did and I need to do a System Restore if it is not too late. It will not take the XP setup disk from my desktop computer. The laptop came with bundled software and there are no discs. Any suggestions? I think it will probably need to go to a local technician and I will have to pay megabucks to have him format the hard drive but I reluctant to lose the programmes and data on the laptop and hope there is another way. I also experienced the original problem on the main desktop computer with explorer not loading but I saved all I could and reinstalled XP which worked. I did not do this with the laptop because I did not have any discs for it. I believe a trojan "Small AOK' was responsible for the original problems as AVG found and deleted it. The original problem will still be there I expect but I need to log on in order to fix it. Help please!

So, I do not know if you are computer oriented, but I am going to assume you are..
So, youll need a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812116211 there are cheaper ones, but I have always trusted Belkin.
Use that and go into your hdd and get all of your info off using another desktop.
Then buy one of these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511
Reformat your drive and you should be good.
I know you will need to copy of xp, but there are some other people on here that can probably tell you how to do this with out the first item, so just wait.

OP , I suggest you post this problem in a new thread in Malware http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/ where they may or may not be able to help you . Unfortunately you are effectively asking for help in bypassing passwords which isn't permitted on TSG (nor is assisting such requests) . It's a blanket rule as it's impossible to verify the intent of every such request , regardless of how genuine you appear to be .

dazzyjai

Thanks, I will read up about the product but I am not sure what it does yet. I have a legal copy of XP which came with my desktop but I was reluctant to use it on the laptop as I did not want to delete all the settings and data etc but it looks as though I may have to if I can get the laptop to run it. I have been told to try to get into DOS and go that route. If not then I will see if the product you mention is what I need. Thanks again.

dazzyjai

I see what you are saying. If it was just a password problem then I could probably fix it but no password exists but the way I tried to fix my original problem makes the computer think that there is one, or so I was told by a repair guy that I spoke to this morning. Still, rules are rules and I am an idiot.

I do not think I should post in this thread anymore, but take a look at the links in the previous post.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can't legally use the XP that came with your desktop on the laptop.

AcaCandy, I have a question.
Can you use the disc that came with the desktop and just use the cd key that came with the laptop?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yes, if it's the EXACT version. Meaning that XP Home is different from XP PRO.

Also, the OEM disks may not work the same, i.e. it is a Dell CD, or HP CD, etc.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yes, for legality sake, as long as you have YOUR cd key, you can use someone else's Windows CD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online