Solved: Laptop Destroyed, but HD is fine. Files are protected, but they are mine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sethiroth

If it isn't one thing, it't another, right?
I took the IDE HD out of my laptop to and used an IDE/SATA cable to try to recover my typed documents (Over a year of work while on the road...). Everything else around here seems to be SATA, so I couldn't plug it in elsewhere.

I found all the folders and everything fine, but i can't access them because of my password that was on the laptop. I know the password just fine, but I'm not understanding how and where I "might" be able to input it.

Now on another not, some random power failure, while using the cable has left it in a state where it's not even recognized as a hard drive by the computers. But that my be for another thread.

While I'm at it, any of you knowledgeable folks know of a song that frequents Jazz-type radio stations with lyrics like "A butterfly...in a hurricane..." ? The man sings it in a soft-tone.

If this is an offense , I apologize and will erase the non-technical parts of this.

TerryNet

Terry
Are you saying that you protected the files with the Windows XP Pro encryption? If so, you'll have to use your backup copy of the files. As I understand it the only way to unencrypt the files on the hard drive is with the user account and Windows installation that encrypted them.

Sethiroth

Yes, I should have been more exact. My fault on that one. I did deny permission from other users, but can this work, on a entirely different machine?

techkid

David
Yes. Taking ownership of your user folder is the only way to be able to access those files.

Sethiroth

Ok, I just want to clarify that I fully understand the issue of ownership. I remember clearly the day I set everything up, so that a bunch of students could use it.

I followed an article similar to the one WhitPhil brought up, with no success. That's why I was wondering if I can do this remotely.

I have to finish repairing the drive before I can try this out again. Maybe I was following directions based on an XP home, OS.

Thanks everyone, I'll be back as soon as I make progress.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online