1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop doesn't read any wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GailTrahd, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question but here goes -

About two weeks ago my laptop computer stopped reading wireless networks in the area - including the home network. I can get connectivity by hardwiring to the router.

My laptop would always automatically connect if it had been connected to the network before, even if it required a password. So, for instance, when visiting my sister it would connect using the password I'd put in before and then when I came home I didn't have to change the password - it would just connect to the home network.

At this point it says it is connected to the wireless router but with little to no connectivity.

When I do Start/ Connect To / Wireless connections it shows a low connectivity to my home network. Then going to View Wireless Networks I get an error message that says:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage the wireless connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

I emailed HP with the concern and went through many steps outlined below.

I have a:
    * Serial Number: CNF73914C1
    * Product Number: GO362AV
    * Model Number: V6000T CTO Notebook PC
    * Operating System: Windows XP

I have:

1. Installed an updated wireless driver from HP

2. Updated the BIOS file

3. Updated the firmware for the router

4. Tried to use system restore but apparently there are no points stored on the computer that are usable because each time I try another date (Safe mode with command prompt) the computer tells me that system restore could not make changes and no changes were made to the computer. My system restore calendar lists "System Checkpoints" on almost every day but not something that says "system restore point".

5. They asked for the drivers found under network adapters in the device manager:
    1394 Net Adapter
    Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
    Intel (R ) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Intel (R ) PRO/ Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    From their response to this one I'm guessing the HP wireless card isn't listed.

HP is now suggesting that I do an F11 Recovery to recover the notebook to factory settings. The Windows XP was factory installed.

HP said that if this doesn't work then it may mean that there is an issue with the wireless card and will require a technician.

What do you guys think? Do I do the System Recovery to factory settings or is there some way to fix the system restore so that I can access the dates that are bolded. What would I lose on the computer if I restored to factory settings - knowing that the only things I do are install programs, change the background and work in the programs. I'm a relative novice with the workings of the computer.

In the System restore system it says that I can use any of the dates that are bolded and there are at least 5 dates every week where the computer did a System Checkpoint. From reading on the MS site I thought that these were the restore points that could be used to restore the system.

I had read where Norton Antivirus would affect using the system restore but I'm using AVG free anti-virus and anti-spyware. Still, I disabled AVG and tried it again but the system restore didn't work even with the AVG disabled.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

Gail

2. dannyn

dannyn

3. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll head over and read it now.

Gail

4. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

I may try to use the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration once I determine if the laptop is compatible with that function - per the instructions in the article.

But why wouldn't the system restore work? How do I get that back?

Gail

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the Intel Proset wireless utility running? If so, and you don't want to use it I'm sure it has an option to "user Windows to manage the connection."

Is there any other wireless utility running? Maybe a HP WLAN?

6. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet - Well, I'd love to be able to answer you and if you told me where to look I will :)

Sorry for being such a dunce!

BTW - I'm originally from Spring Valley IL :)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Intel Proset wireless utility is running there will be an icon for it in the Notification Area (where the clock lives). I guess the icon is supposed to be an antenna, but it looks like a hot air balloon to me.

Please connect by ethernet and try to connect by wireless and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

8. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

These are the results when connected by ethernet and the computer is reading that it isn't connected wirelessly - and i can't seem to make it. There is that wireless utility running in the lower right side tray - looks like a radio tower.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-0B-35-D7

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-AA-06-58
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:04:04 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 13, 2008 12:41:33 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-6B-F3-35-92

I'll be offline now until tomorrow am. THANK YOU for your help!

Gail

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the Intel Proset utility say that the wireless switch is on? Do you detect any wireless networks with it?

10. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

The balloon was WLAN On and Bluetooth On but I can't detect any wireless network in any area.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming you know (e.g., because another computer detects it) there was at least one network that should have been detected, I think an antenna lead came loose or the wireless adapter has died.

HP has had some serious wireless trouble and has extended the warranty on some models. I don't know which ones, but you might want to check their web site or give them a call or email.

With the laptop unplugged and the battery removed you can remove the trapdoor covering the wireless adapter and check the antenna leads. This would be the same way you would replace the adapter if you end up doing so. You can probably find something about this procedure in documentation you got with the laptop or on HP's web site, support section.

12. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

Thank you! I didn't know that I could replace the wireless adapter that easily - without opening up the whole thing - so I assumed I'd have to get someone else to do it. I'll checkout the documentation and support section at HP to find out more. You have been a great help TerryNet!

13. avisitor

avisitor

There should be a little door on the bottom of the laptop that's something along the lines of WiFi or an antenna symbol or PCI(e).

14. HCD

HCD

Looking through the posts - I know that you have XP. You can't access restore points and this leads me to believe that your problems started after you installed Service Pack 3? If you have installed SP3 - go to control panel/ - Add/Remove Programs and uninstall SP3. I have had similar problems on 4 pcs - ENTIRELY (microsoft - please note!) due to SP3. In every situation, the PCs are over 5 years old and I have no idea why this happens - but each time I have uninstalled SP3 - problem disappears! If you have not installed SP3 - then confine this post to the archive of totally useless. If you have --- and it solves it......mark as solved!

15. GailTrahd

GailTrahd Thread Starter

Hi HCD :) You are funny. Didn't install Service Pack 3. Did try the Wireless Zero Configuration this evening after the computer randomly picked up and signed on to a router that had no security on it. At that point I figured out it wasn't the adapter but the software for the adapter and I used WZC. Now the wireless works!

Still can't figure out why I can't use a system restore point and have to figure that one out too. But for now - this is solved.

Thanks to everyone!

Warmly,

Gail

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice