1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop doesn't recognise EXT HDD BSOD's - Doesn't turn on if EXT HDD is plugg

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightning89, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Hello TSG,

My girlfriend is having a few difficulties with her 500GB Buffalo External Hard Drive. As of this morning, her Laptop hasn't been able to turn on if the HDD is plugged in, and if she plugs the HDD in while turned on the Laptop doesn't recognise it and Blue Screens after a few minutes.

She hasn't had the Hard Drive long (coming up to a year now) and her Laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens with Windows 7 OS.

She says she doesn't want to reformat (though it sounds more of a power issue to me) if possible, as she has a lot of photographs and work on there she doesn't wish to loose.

If anyone has any idea what's wrong, please let us know!

Thanks a lot!

EDIT -
    I just advised her to try plugging the EXT HDD into another plug socket, and low and behold it works again. She said however that when she plugged it in, blue sparks flickered at the socket for a few seconds, which really doesn't sound good...

Any idea if it's the HDD's plug itself going... or is it the sockets in her room? <_> Cheers.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Can you try the external drive on another PC as a test

3. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Thanks for the very speedy response! (I'm sure you've helped me out a couple of other times too!)

Good idea, I told her to try it on her Windows XP computer upstairs.

She says as it's working now in the other socket, she'll leave it and then try it upstairs if she receives the Blue Screen again (If it was me I'd try it now to be safe, but, you know.)

Previously she had the EXT HDD plugged into an adapter that housed her fan and Laptop mains cable. Plugging it into the wall and seeing it work says to me the HDD was disagreeing with the plug adapter, but sparks coming out of the wall socket as she plugs it in still isn't a good sign. =X

Thanks a lot for your help and we'll update again if we have any other problems. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922021