1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop freezing like crazy, help?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Syndicate, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

Me and my father bought this laptop somewhere around 2-3 years ago, second-hand. Being that way, it did have a lot of problems. For a first, the laptop's battery is on crack, or it can't be used properly. 2 days of charging will only give the battery about 45% of juice, and will empty that 45% after 10 secs of boot time. Thus, the laptop is forever plugged in for all eternity until I can find a new battery. Recently, the laptop has been randomly freezing, not only when I'm gaming. but even in safe mode. When it freezes, the screen gets stuck on the last frame, and any hardware input isn't working (mouse doesn't work, Ctrl+Shift+Esc doesn't work, etc.). If music is playing when the laptop crashes, the sound seems to repeat, turning into a whirring/buzzing sound. The internal fan, however, still works great when the laptop crashes. I have tried so much things already:

1) AV/Malware scans by 3 different software (Iobit Malware Fighter, Malwarebytes, ComboFix, all updated.)
    2) Cleaning out the laptop's fans (I've opened the laptop)
    3) Buying a small mini usb electric fan directed at the primary fan vent
    4) Buying a new cooling pad
    5) Uninstalling newly installed drivers/software
    6) Using the "chkdsk" command
    7) Defragging my hard drives (Courtesy of Smart Defrag, again, updated)
    8) Updating all my drivers (Courtesy of Driver Booster, updated)

None have been successful so far. The whole laptop stays cool at all times due to the dual fan combo, with the exception of the charger, moderately heating from time to time. As of now, I am running the laptop on pure AC adapter, or I left it plugged in and took out the battery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and followed to the letter.

TSG SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3039 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 199999 MB, Free - 38206 MB; D: Total - 168213 MB, Free - 18245 MB;
    Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
    Antivirus: None

(What? I have an AV!)

Laptop:
    Sony VAIO Model VGN-FW45TJ

Thanks!

2. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

Okay guys, I did my own stuff for a while.
    Here's what I noticed:

1) The charger still heats up despite the fact that the laptop has no battery.
    2) I took a peek at some hidden drivers via Device Manager, and saw a lot of drivers which I do not know about in a subgroup called "Non Plug and Play"

I did some research, and it said that it's either Hard Drive or RAM related (some say it's hardware/graphics driver related). Anyway I can distinguish which one? I'm pretty sure it's not graphics driver related since it still crashes in safe mode. I'm also pretty sure it's not hardware related since my laptop's 'internal organs' are all working fine (no scratches, marks, no cut wires, etc.), with the exception of the Wireless switch, being broken when we got the laptop. Still, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

3. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

HUGE UPDATE.
    I just did a whole lot of self research and experimenting.
    1) I tried using my laptop with a removed keyboard, meaning the internal fan had more holes to "eject" air, and it worked without crashing for about 6 hours (4 open Chrome tabs, iTunes playing music and Notepad++ in the background), but the second I returned the keyboard, it froze. (No external cooling) Tried it AGAIN after I rescanned, and it froze minutes later.
    2) I redid most of what I had originally done (CHKDSK, AV/Malware Scans, Fan cleaning) CHKDSK finished, and the Malwarebytes just took out some registry components and Firefox toolbars (despite the fact the Firefox was uninstalled years ago)
    3) Now, this is my biggest observation. I tried using Safe Mode again for some diagnostics. I left the laptop open overnight (still in safe mode, no open applications), and it didn't crash when I woke up. I opened up msconfig, and switched to "diagnostic". I rebooted normally, and yet another freeze. I went to Safe Mode again, no freezing. I decided to switch to Safe Mode with Networking. (This was after the CHKDSK and A/V scans), and I saw that the icon on my taskbar which was supposed to be telling me that I had internet wasn't there. Loaded up Chrome, and it freezes 3 seconds later. I went to Safe Mode (no networking), and opened up Chrome. No freeze. As of now, it seems to be a problem with networking. Any help is still appreciated.

Thanks!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From everything that I've read in posts #1 - #3, a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and resolving the overheating issue are both needed.

------------------------------------------------------------

5. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

No need. I have done my own research, and uninstalled my network drivers. My Reference.
    This case will not be marked solved, however, until I can confirm that the laptop will not freeze in the next week. If it does, then I shall heed your word and fix both. If not, this case is closed. You people have an amazing site, and I shall surely return here if my desktop breaks or if another error in my laptop appears. Your help is greatly appreciated :D

6. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

Ah, spoke too soon. It just froze again :/ Reinstalling Windows right now.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Since you're doing a clean reinstall of Windows 7, make sure to upgrade it to SP1 and then install its important/recommended updates afterwards.

Your goal is to get Windows 7 up-to-date BEFORE you install a bunch of programs, plug-ins, add-ons, etc. in that laptop.

If the freezing and overheating issue still continues, then that issue needs to be addressed.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Syndicate

Syndicate Thread Starter

Reinstalled Windows 7, this time, 64-bit (cause' that's the original for my laptop, this is the second time Windows has been reinstalled). SP1 is in, all recommended updates are done, updated all the drivers, reinstalled software. Left it on overnight, no freeze when I woke up. Seems to be fine. Again, I will report back in a week. Thank you for your help.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    :) (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice