1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Hangs On Boot, at Different Points

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patmac, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3884 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1718 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 588476 MB, Free - 420542 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., U52F
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Noticed this the other day, the screen was saying: " operations are in progress the machine will be turned off automatically after the operations are complete".

Left this over night, still saying the above in the morning. Had to pull the battery to reboot/stop.

At this next boot, system says: "preparing to configure windows, do not turn off".

The boot went through to "starting windows", but hung at the point where it displays the different users accounts to sign into......but no accounts appeared.

Pulled the battery again, booted slowly, the accounts appeared and windows loaded normally, but slow.

Is this symptomatic of anything?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Clearly there are problems
    The message
    tends to suggest if that was the exact message that it was not windows updates - as normally that manner of message would mention updates are being installed etc or after that message and the reboot - windows is being configured

I would think that the message is related to another operation possibly AVAST or some other program such as a maintenance or backup program

ACRONIS backup - could be the culprit if you have it installed

https://kb.acronis.com/content/19016

Do you have on the computer any automatic scheduled maintenance programs provided by a third party as one of these may be responsible.

As a starting point I would check in installed updates if any coincide with the timing of the message

I would run a chkdsk /r on the drive

I would also recommend a system file check on a cmd prompt with admin rights and type
    sfc /scannow
    That should be done AFTER the chkdsk

3. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks.
    The Acronis link speaks of my issue, but it seems like it's for Acronis Backup and Recovery, I have True Image 2015.
    The directions/fix do not coincide with anything I see in True Image or Disk Director.
    Acronis has been popping up with an error/message about running something ( and times out or aborts), but I never configured it to do anything. I only installed it and made an image of the hard drive.
    Been using Avast for a long time, no issues since then.
    Will try system file check after chkdsk

4. Macboatmaster

True Image 2015 is a backup as well Please see section 4.3.2. of the User Guide
    If the message appears on any set schedule or default of incremental backups that is the reason.

When you see the message - ascertain from Task Manager what is running

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Just to clarify.
    True Image and Disk Director are made by Acronis.

6. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Thanks, yes Dave both by Acronis. The link Macboatmaster gave specifically said "Backup and Recovery...version/build blah blah.." So I wasn't able to find the same items from the link in my Acronis apps.

Just found the spot to change the scheduling config, changed to "do not schedule"....see what happens.
    Should I periodically run chkdsk and sfc? Didn't do that yet.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Oh yes, you should schedule those for a regular run, like MOT on a car.

8. Macboatmaster

1. But True Image 2015 is backup software - whether that be an image or a mere backup both are BACKUPS
    An image is a backup
    but a backup is not necessarily an image

2. However the main point is we appear to have established the cause

3. The link actually tells you that the document applies to True image

4. May I respectfully point out that when I first replied to your topic I did NOT know that you even had Acronis

5. I mentioned that the message may well be related to some manner of operation for a automatic or scheduled process and suggested that if you had Acronis it could be that.

6. As soon as you replied that you had True Image I then pointed you to the page of your user guide

7. As I said the main point is that you appear to have the problem identified, but with respect I think it a little unfair for you to post
    tending to suggest that I made some sort of mistake

8. The reason you should NOW run a chkdsk and a system file check is to eliminate as far as possible file errors caused by the forced shutdown

9. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

No, I wasn't implying you made a mistake.
    With the information you were given, by me, "Mr. 857 posts", you were correct.
    If there was a problem with the way I replied, I humbly apologize.:eek:
    I'll wait a bit to see if the symptom arises again before marking this solved.
    Thank you for your time.

10. Macboatmaster

Really no need for you to apologise
    We are here to help
    It was just that I thought - wrongly I now realize - that you were thinking I could have set a link more directly applicable to True Image 2015, but of course I did not know that you even had Acronis at this stage.
    It was little more than a shot in the dark - hopefully based on a little bit of knowledge and experience.

As an aside - what I do think you should do if you do not have the Windows 7 installation disc is to make one while the download is still available - as I do not expect it to be so for much longer AND make the system image and repair disc as well
    I see this as vital irrespective of your use of Acronis
    Unless of course you already have arrangements for recovery in case of disaster

1 Windows 7 iso
    http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821

2. Repair disc and system image
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

11. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

OK thanks a lot for your time.

12. Macboatmaster

13. Macboatmaster

]Received by PM

Please continue here - on your post click the mark unsolved button.

1. Did you download that ISO image as those links have now been withdrawn

2. Hibernation
    Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

3. When you reply we will explore your power settings

14. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Was away for work, never downloaded the ISO image.
    Last night I went into the "power options" area of Control Panel, and set the system to never hibernate when plugged in.
    The term "sleep" pops up there, but I'm guessing it won't hibernate now, since we never have the laptop unplugged.
    The screen saver was on this morning, and I had to tap the power button for it to wake up ( moving the mouse didn't do it ), it didn't go to the User splash screen, went right to the desktop. Will try this for a while.

15. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Checking back.
    System hasn't hung once in over two weeks.
    Not sure how to debug the hibernation/sleep issue, if it even needs to be looked at further?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice