1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop Hard Drive Files Transfer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AsheJoe, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

I'd like to upgrade my Toshiba laptop's HDD from it's current 160-GB to 320-GB or larger.

My question is.... given the nature of laptop SATA hard drives and Windows Vista, what is the easiest way for me to transfer my programs / settings / files / etc. from the 160 to the new 320 ?

Or, do I have to go in and manually reload all of my programs and redo all of my custom settings ?

Thanks in Advance

Joe

2. arknorth

arknorth

3. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

Thank You ARKNORTH for replying to my question.

Honestly, I was hoping for a solution that wouldn't end up costing me more than the hard drive did ! (Norton Ghost = $60.00 after taxes / shipping / handling vs. $35.00 I paid for this 320-GB Hard Drive on Craigslist.)

Are there any cheaper ways to transfer the files / programs / settings / etc. from my old 160-GB HDD to this new 320-GB HDD ??

I see these "transfer cables" for around $30.00 would they work ? Or, are they just for transfering files from one "My Documents" directory to another ?

Would it work if I put the 320-GB into one of those USB "enclosures" and did a DISK COPY from the 160-GB drive while it's still inside the laptop onto the 320-GB inside the portable USB enclosure ?

Does anyone know of a way to do this ??

Thanks again.

Joe

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Get the 15-day free trial of Acronis True Image and clone the 160 to the 320.

5. arknorth

arknorth

The trouble with transfer cables (which I've seen for about $19.99) is that, yes, they can transfer FILES, but not programs - you still need an added program that allows for that. The only way to properly transfer the programs so that they will work on a new HD will either be to image/ghost them or reinstall the program outright. File transfer is relatively simple otherwise.

A-N

6. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

Hey Fairnooks, that's a really good idea ! I'm going to try that.... Thanks !!!

Also, thanks Arknorth for the advice on transfer cables.... that's saved me some money... and more importantly... it sounds like a lot of disappointment.

thanks guys

Joe

7. AsheJoe

AsheJoe Thread Starter

Your suggestion of downloading the trial version of Acronis True Image did the trick Fairnooks ! It proved to be surprisingly painless once I figured out the confusing procedure(s) of how to actually use Acronis. What I did was install the new 320 drive into a USB Hard Drive enclosure and do a "clone". This update is being sent from the new 320-GB in the Toshiba laptop. Thanks again guys !!
    Joe

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice