1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: laptop hard drive to usb transfer questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris660, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris660

chris660 Thread Starter

Hi guys

I had an old laptop that died so i'm looking for a transfer cable to put the contents of the old hard drive onto my new laptop.

good news is i found a lot of options for the cables. bad news is that my new laptop has only 2 usb ports and they are found on opposite sides of the laptop.

Is there a single port usb transfer cable that works as the power source and the transfer line for a hard drive? Or do you really need the 2 usb ports available (1 for power and 1 for xfer)

thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you are using a disk caddy, they usually have an external power supply or at least the socket for one. They need 5v and by coincidence?? an iPad power supply works. (but don't quote me)

To answer your question you do need more power than a single port can supply. And also what they don't normally tell you is that it really needs to be two USB controllers as each can only supply 500 Milliamp. (On opposite sides of you laptop, they would be)
    You can also buy stand alone mains USB chargers that will do.

Have a look at the top of the old disk and if it only needs 500ma you can get away with just the one cable provided you are running the laptop from the mains (otherwise the voltage will drop too far below 5v).

4. chris660

chris660 Thread Starter

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes, I use similar.

6. chris660

chris660 Thread Starter

Thanks again!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice