1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Laptop has poor connectivity to any wifi network

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gekko22, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekko22

gekko22 Thread Starter

I have a three year old Dell Studio laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit. It is very bad at connecting to the internet wirelessly through wifi.
    At home the router is in the room right next to me and its still inconsistent and often slow, although it can connect to the router when right next to it. When I go somewhere where the wifi is not particularly strong, especially public places, it sometimes connects but cannot load webpages, and sometimes it can't even connect even when there is a visible and decent signal. This is even when other people can connect fine with their laptops/iphones. In general it just has very bad connection.
    This is really frustrating when I need internet anywhere besides home, any help is really appreciated! :)

2. jhparizona

jhparizona

Try going to the Dell website and see if you can get a new driver. Bad wireless connections is usually related to a fault in the driver. You can also check the antenna connections to be sure they are still fully seated. They are delicate and if you have never connected / disconnected one, you may want to seek assistance from a qualified technician.

Wireless adapters are really cheap these days, you could try buying a USB or PCMCIA wireless adapter if you can not get yours working.

3. gekko22

gekko22 Thread Starter

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and I don't really wan' t to open it up to check the antenna, so I went with the USB adapter and that has been working great. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice